(Almost) finished my first partscaster build

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

(Almost) finished my first partscaster build

Postby Jakeblues » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Still some work to go, but it's playable (slightly high action still). It's been a long learning process with Lacquer, but I'll probably do it again...just not right away. Alder body (Mightymite or Allparts, or, someone...I forgot) with some additional routing. Warmouth Wenge/Bloodwood neck (boatneck profile), jumbo SS frets. Gotoh Tuners, Corian nut (for now), Babicz FCH bridge, WD pickguard/control plate, Joe Barden P'ups: Gatton neck, S-style middle, Modern T bridge. Fender 4-way switch (Series-Neck-Parallel-Bridge), push-pull vol pot for middle P'up.

Sill more work to go, but I can play it (or maybe "it can be played" would be more correct.)

Here's a little generic slow blues, clean tone/Bottleneck:

https://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/tele-blues-test-drive-1
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: (Almost) finished my first partscaster build

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 pm

That looks like a great job Jakeblues! Gotta love them Teles. I love the way you can take somebody's head off at a hundred yards with 'em. They're a lethal weapon. That's a real clean lookin' axe.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Freeman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

Looks and sound great, Jake. Lets see a few more pics (and a few more clips too). Been thinkin' that when I get a couple of L-00's done I ought to build a tele....
Freeman
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks! I'm still waiting for the knobs, so I haven't taken any glamor shots yet. There will be more pictures.

Although this isn't blues, here's a clip with a more overdriven tone:

https://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/new-partscaster
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby deejaid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Looks cool Jake. I dig the specs on that Warmoth neck. Have fun with it :)
deejaid
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Couple more pix...although I'm still waiting for the black switch tip and the headstock decal

Jakeblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Very unique guitar! Any thoughts on the boat neck? I'm thinking of ordering a new Warmoth neck some time soon. Looking at either the boat or Fatback.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Very unique guitar! Any thoughts on the boat neck? I'm thinking of ordering a new Warmoth neck some time soon. Looking at either the boat or Fatback.

I really like it. There are a few things different on this that's different from my other teles. The other two are much thinner, maple, smaller frets and finished. I've found that a really thin profile neck gets tiring to play due to the more "Closed" hand position, for me anyways. I took a bit of a risk ordering it that way, but it proved to be a good choice. Wenge/Bloodwood and the Alder body should have yielded a "brighter"tone (not that it's muddy), but I'm also questioning the Bridge. That might get changed out, at some point, but not now.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Guitar