NEW Gretsch G9201 Honey Dipper

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

NEW Gretsch G9201 Honey Dipper

Postby Johnny DobroBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I am wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with the new line of Gretsch Resonator Guitars. Here's the link: http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2717010000 If I had the cash I would pick one up, I'm considering either this or a republic duolian... :)
Johnny DobroBoy
Regular

Re: NEW Gretsch G9201 Honey Dipper

Postby zhyla » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:18 am

Interesting. I don't know what possessed Gretsch to enter the resonator market but it looks different at least. MSRP should be interesting...
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:01 am

That's about the only non-traditional looking resonator I've ever seen that I like. Very cool. Seems like the price should be somewhere between $600 and $650.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby brbadg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0DgJU3nusU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGOE71vLy-A

I always find it hard to tell on you tube,but the first one sounds pretty nice.
I've got one on layaway.
brbadg
Regular

Postby michaelm » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:31 pm

I've had my eye on these for a few months now. Once they can get them in stock, it looks like Elderly will have them for about $360 to $530 plus case, and shipping, if any.

http://www.elderly.com/brand/50N_gretsch.html

At this price point, Recording King, Regal and Republic all have their dedicated followers. These may be a hard sell. I wouldn't mind trying out a couple, though.
michaelm
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

I agree with you, Lefty, they certainly have a smooth, rather modern look, which might not be to everyone's taste. And also with you, Michael - it would be great to get a hands on to seee if there are any remarkable differences in sound. Of course that's a lot more possible for you guys in the USA than us down here at the bottom of the world. Beltona were made here, but I don't know too much about them except that they were made of a synthetic product. But today I found DonMo Guitars site. He is an Australian and makes resos from recycled sheet iron and also corrugated roofing iron which he rolls flat and then makes into resos. Some of his iron is 100 years old. He also makes wooden bodied resos and restricts his line to biscuit and tricone. His prices are top shelf -$A2k but once again, how good it would be to try a couple of his models. If you are looking at the site, fwiw my choice would be one of the Rustbucket range. The Rustbuckets offer the best of both worlds - they are new guitars but they have been made with genuinely old materials ie they are not "distressed". Ah well, dream on,Ric. My Republic triolian is good enough for me and about suits my skill level too. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Riceblue, there's a great little acoustic shop around here in Seattle that used to always have Beltona reso ukes and the occasional Beltona reso guitar. Top quality instruments. I feel lucky having played some. I don't think they stock them anymore since they're a National dealer, but they were fun little instruments. As for those Donmos... My oh my, what I would give to own one. They are quite a cool looking product and I love his business model of reusing metal.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:24 pm

I don't think I'll be adding another reso to the collection soon, but I would be very curious to hear what they sound and play like. Interesting that they have two wood body spider bridges and the one brass biscuit. I don't know who would carry these around here. The only place with much for resos is The Music Emporium, and they don't have much under $1000. I'll must certainly me interested in hearing one.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm

At last, a Gretsch I wouldn't be afraid of scratching.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DaveG » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:59 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Riceblue, there's a great little acoustic shop around here in Seattle that used to always have Beltona reso ukes and the occasional Beltona reso guitar. Top quality instruments. I feel lucky having played some. I don't think they stock them anymore since they're a National dealer, but they were fun little instruments. As for those Donmos... My oh my, what I would give to own one. They are quite a cool looking product and I love his business model of reusing metal.

Hey Lefty, what shop is that? Sounds worth checking out.
DaveG
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:54 pm

I know Beltona has a good name but I need to say that I had a bad experince after purchasing one of their ukes. I got two collapsed cones in a row.
While Steve was very helpful and fixed things up for me I feel the design of their cones is not up to taking some of the modern Aquila strings which are the ones I prefer for ukes.
Apparantly they exert more pressure on the cone at normal uke tuning.
I also didn't like the sound they made to be honest.
If I was going to buy an expensive reso uke I'd go National next time.
I ended up reselling it within 6months and lost quite a bit on it.:cry:
I do likethe look of the new Gretsch guitars though. Looking forward to the first review. :D
leftyguitarman wrote:Riceblue, there's a great little acoustic shop around here in Seattle that used to always have Beltona reso ukes and the occasional Beltona reso guitar. Top quality instruments. I feel lucky having played some. I don't think they stock them anymore since they're a National dealer, but they were fun little instruments. As for those Donmos... My oh my, what I would give to own one. They are quite a cool looking product and I love his business model of reusing metal.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 pm

DaveG wrote:Hey Lefty, what shop is that? Sounds worth checking out.

Hey Dave, it's Dusty Strings. Located in Fremont, about two blocks west and one block south of the Troll (I'm sure you know what troll I'm talking about). It's right before the bridge there that crosses over to Queen Anne. There's a wooden sign that hangs down above the door. The door takes you downstairs below street level. If you've never been to Dusty Strings, I cannot recommend it enough. They have mandos, ukes, resonators, harps, fiddles, vintage guitars, Martins, Taylors, Collings, etc. The absolute best acoustic shop I've ever been to. They also have workshops all the time in the back room.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby DaveG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:55 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
DaveG wrote:Hey Lefty, what shop is that? Sounds worth checking out.

Hey Dave, it's Dusty Strings. Located in Fremont, about two blocks west and one block south of the Troll (I'm sure you know what troll I'm talking about). It's right before the bridge there that crosses over to Queen Anne. There's a wooden sign that hangs down above the door. The door takes you downstairs below street level. If you've never been to Dusty Strings, I cannot recommend it enough. They have mandos, ukes, resonators, harps, fiddles, vintage guitars, Martins, Taylors, Collings, etc. The absolute best acoustic shop I've ever been to. They also have workshops all the time in the back room.

Thanks, Lefty. I'm very familiar with Dusty Strings. I've been there a few times, and have attended a couple of the workshops, but I never noticed any reso's there except the Nationals. I don't look at the ukes much, though. I'm to busy drooling over the high end guitars. I agree, it's the best shop I have been to. I was hoping maybe there was another one in town I didn't know about! :D
DaveG
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 pm

I haven't seen a Beltona Reso (other than a uke) in there since maybe 2008 or so. I used to go there all the time when I was in high school, but I've only been back there a handful of times since 2008 since I was living in Arizona. I'm planning on stopping in there on Monday to have a look around. Hopefully they have a couple of those Herb Taylor bouzoukis still in there.

By the way Dave, what are some other stores you go to in Seattle? I like American Music up the street from Dusty Strings, but other than those two, I don't know of very many more. I was sad to find out that Lark In The Morning is gone from Pike Place. I bought a bouzouki there years ago and I loved hanging out in that shop.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby DaveG » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 am

When you go in Monday see if they still have the hand built Weissenborn they had a couple months ago. I don't remember who the builder is but it was pretty sweet!

A friend and I usually make the rounds to the shops 3 or 4 times a year. We used to hit as many as we could but the only ones we keep going back to besides Dusty Strings are the Trading Musician over on Roosevelt in the U district, American Music (I bought my Larrivee there), Asharp in Kent (small shop, but some really nice stuff), and Bellevue American Music on Northup in Bellevue. Guitarville up in Lynnwood used to be good, but they went downhill so I haven't been there for a couple of years. I don't know how they are now.
DaveG
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar