Another Stab at a 12 String

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Another Stab at a 12 String

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 am

I have putzed on and off with 12 strings for decades. Generally I remove the three lowest octaive strings so I can get a thumping bass combined with the chorus like highs. I have not had one in years though. A little while back I was out goofing around and ran across a 12 string (I don't think I have ever bought a guitar intentionally - I just seem to stumble across them). It was cheap so I figured what the heck and I am now the proud owner of a 1972 Guild.

I had forgotten how much fun these things are. I have been pretty much sticking to the standards - tunes like Gallis Pole and stuff I can play in Drop D tuning like Chump Man Blues , Statesboro Blues,and yeah, Big Road Blues. And OK I admit it - I did let loose on Turn, Turn, Turn a time or two.

Anyway, if you ever feel like you are in a rut and a needing something different to kick start your juices - a 12 stringer may just be what the doctor ordered. And Blind Willie just don't sound quite right on anything else.

Here be the obligatory quick pic.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Another Stab at a 12 String

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 am

Beautiful! Guilds are great guitars!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sat May 05, 2012 1:42 pm

A few days ago I stopped in at my usual music store for strings--happened to notice an Ovation 12er--just happened to pick it up to try a tune or two--man--it was great! I hadn't tried one for a long time--
if I wasn't so broke that sucker would be on my wall right now!

I never thought of removing some strings back when I had one--that's a good idea. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:34 am

Those Guild 12 strings are very nice guitars. And 12 strings are a lot of fun to play. My old Gibson B-25 12 has been getting more attention than any of my other guitars lately just because of how different it makes me approach the instrument. Have fun with that one.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun May 06, 2012 3:21 pm

I figure if a Guild 12 string was good enough for Wolf it is good enough for us.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Luv it!!
tinsmith
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Nice. I've never owned a twelve string. Hmmm. Getting me thinking about getting rid of the roundneck that's collecting dust...
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am

I've just finished posting in another thread about how I own a 12 string that I bought on impulse and never use. Now you guys have given me ideas. Mmm brush the dust off and try some of these changes... maybe a stay of execution for her. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:Anyway, if you ever feel like you are in a rut and a needing something different to kick start your juices - a 12 stringer may just be what the doctor ordered. And Blind Willie just don't sound quite right on anything else.

Nice guitar and I totally agree, there's something special about 12-stringers!!

Just modified my Delta Rocket into a reso-12! :mrgreen: :wha:
Tried it at two gigs now and it works and sound very nice, will post a clip to demo the sound it produces..
Been wanting a 12-string reso for a long time and here it is:

:D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun May 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Very cool. I've always wondered about a 12-string reso. I'd love to hear it when you get the chance.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Freeman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:31 am

Why would you want only one 12 string?

I keep thinking about making a 12 string tricone, maybe this winter......
Freeman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 am

Freeman, do you play any of those in altered tunings? For that matter, does anyone else play their flattop 12 in altered tuning? I've just retuned my solid top Yammy to open E (I've got very light strings on her and I did some calcs which revealed that using just six strings tuned standard E using 13s,the neck would be under less stress with12 strings tuned open E with these extra lights :? ) and the sound is very orchestral. I'm not sure I like it though, it's all a bit messy. But I'll leave her like that for a while to get used to it. It makes precise fingerpicking a bit of a mission. So is there anyone else out there with an open tuned flattop 12? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Well, I made a move into 12-string ownership (largely due to this thread).. Just a '70's Epiphone. Not bad to get used to the extra strings, but not a huge investment, either. It certainly does get me rethinking things a little. It's nice when you find an affordable guitar that sounds good enough and plays well enough to inspire you try try some new stuff and not break the bank. Fancy guitars are great...I just don't have the bankroll.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Freeman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

ricbleu wrote:Freeman, do you play any of those in altered tunings? For that matter, does anyone else play their flattop 12 in altered tuning? I've just retuned my solid top Yammy to open E (I've got very light strings on her and I did some calcs which revealed that using just six strings tuned standard E using 13s,the neck would be under less stress with12 strings tuned open E with these extra lights :? ) and the sound is very orchestral. I'm not sure I like it though, it's all a bit messy. But I'll leave her like that for a while to get used to it. It makes precise fingerpicking a bit of a mission. So is there anyone else out there with an open tuned flattop 12? :D Peace.

My 12 strings are never in "standard" tuning, they are always down at least two semi tones, then often in something open from there. The one one the right is long scale, it is designed for C or C#, but right now is in whatever the equivalent of open G down four semi tones.

I play all my flat tops in open and altered tunings also, plus I own three resonators and a weissenborn which are never in standard. I have an old Yamie sixer that stays in open C (special string set). Heck, even my Lester gets open tuned for a little slide.

So what you are saying is that you've strung your Yamaha 12 as a sixer and tuned up to E? That will probably work, but you've got all the problems of a 12 with the wide nut, weird spacing, yadda yadda. Put a set of mediums (12'') on it, tune down two semi tones to D standard, then try the equivalent of open E (or C or D). I promise you that puppy will roar!

btw - the bottom of this page has a little info about string sets for a 12 - it will at least give you a starting point
Freeman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks a heap, Freeman. I'll get right onto that in the morning. I admit that standard tuning on the 12 doesn't appeal, and that's why I've been thinking of selling her. But I'll do as you advise and see what happens. It always kick starts the creative motor to get a new angle on something. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar