Attack resistant strings?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Attack resistant strings?

Postby De Ferre » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Hello!

I'm sure you'll have the knowledge to help me out of this...

Since I'm using steel fingerpicks the strings won't last very long: a couple of gigs and they'll buzz like crazy. Specially the 3rd one. I tend to use bronze strings and I've tried also nickel ones. These last a bit longer, but not much either.

Do you know of other string type that might help?
Those "elixir" coated ones perhaps?

Thanks in advance!!!

And Happy Christmas!!! :)
De Ferre
Regular

Re: Attack resistant strings?

Postby OldWailer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I just play with fingernails and a plastic thumb pick, and the plastic coated jobbies shred out really fast for me.

I think the brass Acri picks are the best (I do use picks sometimes)--the strings might last better--not because they are brass, they're just machined a lot smoother than other picks I have tried. You must attack pretty aggressively--I don't think I've ever noticed this being a problem for me. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:23 pm

I would advise against coated strings, especially if you use a metal thumbpick. I don't like coated strings because my sweat must be acidic and the coating comes off within a couple hours. Once the coating comes off, the strings sound different across the board and the coating gets everywhere.

Have you tried 80/20 bronze strings?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:29 am

Everyone develops their own technique as they go through the learning process. I came to finger picking via electric lead and always used a flat pick. But once I began fingerstyle on my acoustics, I found that my nails grown out to about 1-1.5mm from my fingertips gave me the sound I liked. Then there is always the option of shifting the angle of attack slightly and just using flesh. I never felt comfortable with just the thumbpick either even when I trimmed it down to project the same 1-1.5mm. And using only fingers gives the added advantage of having something less to forget when assembling the gear for a gig. So fwiw to M. de Ferre, have you considered abandoning finger/thumb picks altogether and just relying on fingers? But perhaps you have developed your entire method by using picks, so then my suggestion is of no use. Btw, I am stringing all my acoustics with pure nickle roundwound (John Pearse does a 12 and so does d'Addario) and find them deliciously mellow and very long lasting. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:24 pm

OldWailer wrote: You must attack pretty aggressively-

I do, I do. As hard as the guitar can take. I play fully acoustic, in front of a mike. So fingernails are not an option (too quiet). And plastic fingerpicks are OK, but they tend to fly away now and then and they get deformed too.
I must find a kind of compromise I guess... :?
De Ferre
Regular

Postby blueshome » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:57 pm

I too play hard. I use a plastic thumb pick (Fred Kelly) and Dunlop nickel silver finger picks and don't have string wear problems in the picking area. I gave up on National finger picks (steel) as I found they wore the strings more and were less comfortable. Maybe your problem is related to the angle you hit the strings, possibly with the edge of the picks?
blueshome
Regular

Postby blueshome » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:58 pm

I too play hard. I use a plastic thumb pick (Fred Kelly) and Dunlop nickel silver finger picks and don't have string wear problems in the picking area. I gave up on National finger picks (steel) as I found they wore the strings more and were less comfortable. Maybe your problem is related to the angle you hit the strings, possibly with the edge of the picks?
blueshome
Regular

Return to Guitar