Epiphone MD-100

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Epiphone MD-100

Postby Dannomite » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Does anyone know anything about Epiphone's MD-100 metal body reso? They are a biscuit bridge, brass/stainless steel body, mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard and made between 04-07. What I'm curious as to why they are so hard to impossible to find used. I found one on myrareguitars but no where else. Are they rare or just highly sought after? Any idea what they're worth?
Dannomite
Regular

Re: Epiphone MD-100

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 pm

First off, welcome to the forum.

I have an Epiphone Biscuit, the wood bodied version of the MD-100. The sound is okay; it could definitely benefit from a cone upgrade. These guitars aren't really rare, per se, but rather they were just never really purchased a whole lot, so I don't think Epiphone made a whole lot of them.

As for what they're worth, I paid $239 + tax for my Biscuit, new, but it's a 2nd. All I could find wrong is that one of the tuners was screwed in crooked, so therefore it was a second. I'm not sure what the MD-100's retail was, but they weren't that expensive, IIRC. FWIW, I wouldn't buy another Epi resonator since they have a very narrow fretboard and narrow string spacing, which isn't really what most players (myself included) want in a resonator. The necks are also super thin, again, not what most players want. YMMV. I've had mine for a few years now and it's a fine guitar, just not the easiest for blues fingerpicking, especially since I have large hands. However, the quality is pretty good for an Epiphone. I lost faith in Epiphone when my Epi LP developed a HORRIBLE neck warp in under four years of regular use. Also, the tenon on it wasn't mounted to the sides of the neck pocket, only the bottom, which, regardless of price, is unacceptable IMO.

I modded mine and mounted a Telecaster neck pickup into the coverplate, and now it's a tone monster. Somehow, it still manages to retain the resonator tone while amplified, until it's cranked or lots of dirt is added.

I think if you want to get a good, entry level, metal bodied reso, go with a Republic or something along those lines.

Oh and also, last time I was in Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix, Az, they had three MD-100's in stock. They do ship and their prices are the best out of any guitar store I've ever been in. You should give them a call and see if they still have them. They were NOS, as far as I remember.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 am

I had one of these as my first reso about 5 years ago. Quite a nice guitar but a narrow neck and not much volume as I remember, so I sold it.
Like many cheaper resos it probably would have sounded great with a National cone but I wasn't aware of this at the time.

Have a good Christmas everyone. :mrgreen:
I'm hoping for a better year next year.
We had 7000 earthquakes in 2011 including 3 big ones and I'm still living in my soon to be demolished house.
There is a chance I might not be able to rebuild because I live to close to the water!! :roll:
Brian Cox
Southshore
Christchurch
New Zealand
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:31 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Kiwi. I wish you the best. What happens if you can't rebuild your house?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:47 am

Hopefully find a house somewhere which hasn't been damaged.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:02 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Have a good Christmas everyone. :mrgreen:
I'm hoping for a better year next year.
We had 7000 earthquakes in 2011 including 3 big ones and I'm still living in my soon to be demolished house.
There is a chance I might not be able to rebuild because I live to close to the water!! :roll:
Brian Cox
Southshore
Christchurch
New Zealand
Brian, Sorry about you and all the people in the Christchurch calamity.
Best wishes for all of you to have a quick recovery.
Bill
P.S. I gotta wonder, have you heard any old time Maori rummers about how that was a bad place to build a city?
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Bill.
Yes, the Maoris were here before us and weren't stupid enough to build any towns on the swampy ground.
If they had of they certainly wouldn't have built them of bricks and mortar!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:01 am

Two more big shocks yesterday that's 115 since Friday night and around 8000 since September 2010.
Who says earthquakes are a one off which don't strike the same place twice!
Anyone live in San Francisco?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Two more big shocks yesterday that's 115 since Friday night and around 8000 since September 2010.
Who says earthquakes are a one off which don't strike the same place twice!
Anyone live in San Francisco?

That is unbelievable! I live in the Seattle area, which doesn't shake much, but we're overdue for a big one and we're overdue for some volcano eruptions. They think that a big shake here could set of one or more of the volcanoes. I hope you're well down there Kiwi!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Guitar