Can I have a bit of musical help?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Can I have a bit of musical help?

Postby belbb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey, basically, Im having trouble working out the slide guitar part in the introduction to the song Gravel Road by Clutch, i've got the rest of the song, but nothing I seem to do with the intro seems to turn out right. Just wondering if anyone could have a listen and see if they can help me. Many thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzop2dF3MfY (Live version, clear view of guitar)
[url[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpvDZu-GFSY[/url/ (Studio version)
belbb
Regular

Re: Can I have a bit of musical help?

Postby bottleneck » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm

YES,THAT'S ABOUT AS EASY AS SLIDE GUITAR GETS.he's in open D and is going on and off the third fret.he slides into a G chord,or the IV,which is at the fifth fret,early on,much like most beer commercials :).the higher note he hits is A at the seventh fret on the first string.so basically if you pull the slide on and off the third fret,slide up to the fifthfret.open,then third fret etc.is that what you mean?no need to be precise with most of it because a lot of it is chordal,so if you hit a neighboring string it is ok.the only time you need to hit a single clean note is the A.

then sing the rollin and tumbling melody, and you're pretty much there.

hope this helps?i can be more specific about anything you need,haha.pretty fun stuff!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby belbb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 pm

0:28 - 0:43 is more so what I meant, the rest of the song I have fine, it's just that part I cant get to sound right
belbb
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:30 am

YES,RIGHT AT 28 INTO 29 he is pulling off the third fret and sliding up to the seventh then on and off the third fret.all on the first string while keeping a drone with his thumb on the bass string.i can't write tab but it would be like 307030 ,307030(sometimes slurring the fifth fret too)30303030 etc.or something close to that.i'm sure you could get it,nothing difficult there.

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby belbb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah thanks buddy, think I got it now, for some reason I had a total mind block with this song, made worse by the fact it is easy. Thankyou though
belbb
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:26 pm

AND PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME SAYING IT is fairly simple as any kind of insult to it.i think uncluttered music is best.

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Guitar