Learned Something Kool About My Guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Learned Something Kool About My Guitar

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I was hanging around the local music store today and ran into the guitar player who was the former owner of my National Duolian. He told me that John Hammond, Jr. had played that guitar on some of the songs on the "In Your Arms Again" LP recorded in a converted church in Salina, KS in 2004. He also told me that the color is original (I thought it might have been oversprayed) and that it is extremely rare.

Maybe I have become a weenie but I left feeling like I had won the lottery. Well, not quite, but ya know what I mean.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Learned Something Kool About My Guitar

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 am

You did win the lottery . That's pretty cool . Enjoy that axe !!!
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 am

That's really cool. If it's the one he recorded "jitterbug Swing" on, that thing has the tone for sure! 14 fret model? Image

I have a '31 Style 0 but have figured out by listening and playing various models that it's the Duolians from that era that have the sound I really love. I met a traveling bluesman thru Facebook and he was recently playing a festival near here. We hung out for hours trading licks on my Style O, his '31 Triolian and '32 Doulian. They all sounded good but those ratty, steel bodied relics of his sounded awesome! Even in my untalented hands.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Nope - it is a 12 fret Duolian. Apparently Hammond got his hands on the guitar (the former owner is a well respected regional blues player who lived in the town where the LP was recorded) and liked it. But the guy didn't tell me what song or songs Hammond played the guitar on.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar