Rondo reso

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Rondo reso

Postby ricbleu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm doing some preliminary research with the intention of getting myself a resonator. I am looking at a Rondo SX spider bridge, round neck, wood body. I realise that going in at low end is not going to produce a gem of a guitar, but while I don't want to put too many $$$ into this, I also don't want to buy something unplayable. I have worked on guitars a lot so I can do any tweaking which might be required. If any of you blues buddies out there have had experience with these Rondos that they could share with me, then I'd be most grateful. Peace :D
ricbleu
Regular

Re: Rondo reso

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

I only know one guy who owns an SX reso. I know the one he got was in bad need of a decent settup and decent strings. After that his only real complaint was that the guitar lacked volume which he solved by slapping a pickup on it. All in all though, he still owns it and seems to have alot of fun with it. The one thing you can't argue with is that those suckers sure are easy on the wallet
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 pm

You could always put a National hot rod cone in it if it lacks volume like Django did with his which,if I remember rightly was a Johnson biscuit bridge model.
I played it once and it sounded just like a National.
The cone is verything in these guitars especially if you are going to use it mainly for sliding. :D
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 pm

What's the price? The Rondo resos I see listed are $175. At that price I think I'd lean towards a Rogue classic spider. I'm not saying it's a better instrument, just it's a bit more well known. They may be the same instrument minus the finish work.

I went with the Recording King spider model, which is nearly twice the price, but mine was pretty dang perfect.

Sound-wise I suspect any of these are going to sound great. And I know you can tweak on anything you buy until it plays right.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricbleu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's always a bit difficult here in New Zealand because postage pushes the price up and in the case of the SX, you have to buy a case seperately or they won't ship it. That's fair enough, but what seems at first glance like a real bargain, ends up, with shipping cost (about $US130-140) a guitar with a price a lot higher than its quality. And then, as Kiwiblues says, they are only as good as their cone. So if you are faced with replacing the cone straight away...well you get what you pay for, I suppose, but with all the "invisibles" on these cheapies you can get a lot less than you pay for. Republic look good and they come with a case, but their starting price is higher than the SX and it is just a bit out of my range. So for the moment, I appreciate your help on my original question, but I'll give it some time for the GAS to disperse and see if I can pick up something locally that I can try out before I buy. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Django3 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Ric
have you had a play with a dobro hounddog, I am so impressed with its tone and smooth action, real haunting tone, and there is one[ or was one on trade me]

Giday Brian[ kiwi blues] hope the insurance and EQC are being kind to you.
cheers Django
Django3
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

We're still on a knife edge Jim.
We are orange zoned and there is now an unaccountable delay in the decision on whether we go red.
The house has sunk almost half a meter and is slipping into the estuary.
You still at home or have you moved on already?
Brian :D :roll:
Django3 wrote:Hi Ric
have you had a play with a dobro hounddog, I am so impressed with its tone and smooth action, real haunting tone, and there is one[ or was one on trade me]

Giday Brian[ kiwi blues] hope the insurance and EQC are being kind to you.
cheers Django
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Wow, you guys have been through some trials. It must be so demoralising because the damned earthquakes just keep on coming and you can't trust the ground under your feet in getting things restored. But I'm glad to see you back on line, Jim - I'd forgotted your forum alias, so forgive me for not greeting you earlier.

But back onto the subject - yes I have seen a Houndog dobro. It was in the Dunedin Rockshop for a long time at $799 and I really liked it but I was never committed enough. And even now with my health so uncertain, I'm debating with myself if I'd use the thing enough for long enough to justify a purchase. After all, I've got my self made electric and teardrop Weissy to use for slide work. I suspect that it's just GAS for a bottleneck option. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I bought my father an SX square neck, f holes. It's beautiful. The website's pictures don't do it justice. BEAUTIFUL wood, great finish job. Smooth, tight tuners, well balanced, loud, and it honks!! It's GOT the tone!! Quite unbelievable at that low price. He's had it a few years, no warping or funny stuff. Go for it.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 am

Wow, I never new they had those. 8)
I got a Jazz Bass from them, and I like it. Could never get a good price if I tried to sell it, so good think I like it.
If you do buy an SX reso, choose the best they got. The SX Reso 1 CE FR NA, with the cutout and mini humbucker looks great, and has some potential for upgrades later. They sell good after upgrades.
Don't mind me, it's just my gas. :P

Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to Guitar