minor blues slide with open tuning ? or should I forget it

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: minor blues slide with open tuning ? or should I forget

Postby torncone » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 am

birdmove wrote:Well, being only a talentless hack, I leave my guitar in standard tuning and play slide that way. I prefer playing in the key of G as it seems more slide friendly to me. But I have never usewd a capo either. I enjoy playing slide, but play a lot without it. When I got back into playing again, I quiye using a pick too. For some reason it just didn't feel right using one any more. Now I finger pick wether I'm using a slide, or playing lead or whatever. By the way, I much prefer a brass slide over glass.

If I took the time to figure out how to try other tunings, it would probably be a revelation to me, but I'm only a hack.

jon

jon,
From standard tuning, lower your 1st string one whole step from e to d. Lower your 5th string one whole step from A to G. Lower your 6th string one whole step from E to D. Welcome to Open G. Put on that brass slide, and hack away for a few hours, discovering the sweet chime of all the single finger bar chords you've been missing!

I prefer a brass slide also at this point in time. Have fun!

Dino
torncone
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar