minor blues slide with open tuning ? or should I forget it

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

minor blues slide with open tuning ? or should I forget it

Postby blueman2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:42 pm

In general, am I better of trying to picking up my standard tuned guitar to play minor licks where you at least have a couple of adjacent strings you can work with rather an open tuned G or D guitar that I already have set up for slide?
blueman2
Regular

Re: minor blues slide with open tuning ? or should I forget

Postby allanlummox » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:27 am

Try the minor tunings - just half a step away with D minor dropping the F# in open D dadfad and dgdgbd tunes down as dgdgb#d. You can hear something like this on the version of "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lange2. Loads of possibilities.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueman2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 am

I hear a lot of minors in Sister Morphine. Anybody have an idea what Ry Cooder used for that gem?
blueman2
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Take any of your major licks and play them three frets up -- they'll sound minor.

allanlummox wrote:Try the minor tunings - just half a step away with D minor dropping the F# in open D dadfad and dgdgbd tunes down as dgdgb#d. You can hear something like this on the version of "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lange2. Loads of possibilities.

That's probably a typo? DGDGBbD.
Stackabones
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, B flat is what I meant.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 pm

As long as you stick to the top three strings it's easy to play a minor in open D with the three fingers available. For example Gm is 455 or Am is 677.
I personally am not very successful in getting these by fretting behind the slide.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby stewie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 pm

When I'm playing lead with slide/open tuning I'm still always in Open D or G but routinely play along with songs in minor keys. The important thing I've found is to know what notes NOT to play or they will sound horrible. Below I tabbed a scale I use in Open D based around the 12th fret - I just move it around to the right fret for the appropriate key. I hope my little bit of tab will look OK and be understandable. Notes with an X are ones to use.

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
D X---|---X---|---|---X---|---X
A X---X---X---X---|---X---|---X
F# X---X---|---X---|---X---|---X
A X---X---X---X---|---X---|---X

Two notes to avoid like the plague are F# and Db.
stewie
Regular

Postby blueman2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks stewie

So if I understand correctly, the notes x ed out are not to be played and those not x ed are to be played and this is to play something in Dm?
blueman2
Regular

Postby stewie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 am

Notes with X's are the ones to use. Sorry - maybe using X's wasn't a good idea!! It does make it seem like you shouldn't use those notes! Unfortunately the formatting didn't carry over to my post so everything isn't lined up the way it should be. Again, the key seems to be that in a D scale it's the F# and C# notes that make the scale sound "major". If you flatten those two notes to F and C it will sound "minor". Or in any scale it's the 3rd and 7th of the scale that make it sound "major" and flattening them will make it sound "minor".

The numbers above my tab were supposed to be the fret numbers but the whole thing got munted. I'll try this way:
D string: 10, 12, 15, 17 frets
A string: 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17 frets
F# string: 10, 11, 13, 15 frets
A string: 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17 frets
stewie
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 pm

How long have tabs been in use? When I learned guitar in the 60s we just built up our chops by listening and copying live or off records (the vinyl sort) and I never ever saw or heard of tabs. Only since I've got back seriously into playing over the past few years, have I become aware of their existence. I used to get the music/guitar mags so I would've known of tabs if they had been there. Can anyone enlighten me? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 am

When I started playing (around 1980) I had a couple of Stefan Grossman's books, but mostly just listened to other guitarists and played and like that.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricbleu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 am

So maybe Stefan Grossman introduced tabs. Like you, Allan, I learned by listening. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:47 am

ricbleu wrote:How long have tabs been in use? When I learned guitar in the 60s we just built up our chops by listening and copying live or off records (the vinyl sort) and I never ever saw or heard of tabs. Only since I've got back seriously into playing over the past few years, have I become aware of their existence. I used to get the music/guitar mags so I would've known of tabs if they had been there. Can anyone enlighten me? :D Peace.

Tablature goes back about 800 years (standard notation in the form of neumes goes back about 1200 years). It has been used mainly by stringed instruments (lute, guitar, etc), but it has found use with other instruments too.

Stackabones
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:21 am

Duely enlightened. Thanks, Stack. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby birdmove » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:32 am

Well, being only a talentless hack, I leave my guitar in standard tuning and play slide that way. I prefer playing in the key of G as it seems more slide friendly to me. But I have never usewd a capo either. I enjoy playing slide, but play a lot without it. When I got back into playing again, I quiye using a pick too. For some reason it just didn't feel right using one any more. Now I finger pick wether I'm using a slide, or playing lead or whatever. By the way, I much prefer a brass slide over glass.

If I took the time to figure out how to try other tunings, it would probably be a revelation to me, but I'm only a hack.

jon
birdmove
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar