How to become a good blues rhythm guitarist?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: How to become a good blues rhythm guitarist?

Postby straightblues » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 am

Listen to a lot of blues. There are blues channels on the radio. I have one on my Fios Tv. Most pay TV services have music channels. You can get it on the net a Pandora. Spend an hour a day playing rhythm guitar by ear to everything that comes up. Start with playing chords against the song. Then start playing parts of chords. Start doing double stops, then start playing single line riffs. When I play in the context of a band, I always try to stay out of the way of everyone else. Player higher up the neck, or lower. Let the bass have their part, don't double it, compliment it.
straightblues
Regular

Postby alf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:21 pm

devonniedukes wrote:Just love what you’re doing and have your own identity. Use your experiences to create beautiful music, positivity is always present. Learn how to accept opinions and criticism, by then you’ll be a good one.

It sounds like "peace, love and music".
I like it. Thx
Alf
alf
Regular

Postby alf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 pm

straightblues wrote:Listen to a lot of blues. .... Spend an hour a day playing rhythm guitar by ear to everything that comes up. Start with playing chords against the song. Then start playing parts of chords. Start doing double stops, then start playing single line riffs. When I play in the context of a band, I always try to stay out of the way of everyone else. Player higher up the neck, or lower. Let the bass have their part, don't double it, compliment it.

Thanks for this learning progression, I like your idea to start with chords and gradually remove notes... someone already said "less is more", and I fully agree.
Bye. Alf
alf
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Another thing to consider is picking up a book of snare drum rudiments or drum grooves. May sound strange, but if you just play a single note or chord while reading and following the rhythm for the drum part, it can help develop a real strong feel for the rhythms, learn where the accents fall and how you can shift the accent to make a groove sound completely different. Playing with a metronome helps, too.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 pm

I talked to one of my rhythm guitar buddies at an open mic a coupla weeks ago. He's 65 yrs. old and has gigged since he was about 14 yrs. old, and he told me he still works out with a metronome.

Also, IMO, it's important to realize that certain types of rhythms can inherently cause one to want to speed up, or slow down. For example, upbeat vamps will inherently tempt you to race, while some shuffles can try to slow down, esp. if you're using partial chords followed by a 4th beat lick ( ala SRV,Hendrix, or any blues trio stuff.). (disclaimer: I'm a harper/keyboarder. :lol: )
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueshome » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Jimmy Rogers, Eddie Taylor - nuff said! Forget the rest, go with the best.
blueshome
Regular

Postby alf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:13 am

guitarslim101 wrote:Another thing to consider is picking up a book of snare drum rudiments or drum grooves. May sound strange...

Absolutely not strange, few times ago I listened on TV a guy (I presume someone like a session man) sayin' the most important background he had was the year he spent behind a drum kit before starting playing guitar, more than lessons and exercise on the guitar...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll search something very basic.
alf
Regular

Postby alf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 am

blueshome wrote:Jimmy Rogers, Eddie Taylor - nuff said! Forget the rest, go with the best.

I fully agree.
Not to mention his work with Jimmy Reed, IMHO the rhythmn parts in Eddie Taylor's "Bad Boy" album are superb
alf
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 pm

If you have a cheap keyboard with a drum loop on it, play along with the drum loop. It'll help, immensely.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar