Bench Talk #10 Inside a 1931 National Style O

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Bench Talk #10 Inside a 1931 National Style O

Postby VintageNats » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi All,
Just put another Bench Talk together exploring an early 1931 National Style O. Has a few cool interesting features, if you're a reso nerd like me at least. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmCsgjPwzg&feature=colike

Cheers, Len

http://www.nationalguitar.com
VintageNats
Regular

Re: Bench Talk #10 Inside a 1931 National Style O

Postby gaucho » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Very cool and timely too. I just got a '31 Style O (serial # S1731)and was just in it as well. I took those 2 extra mushroom posts out which deepened the bass. The cone had collapsed and I massaged it back into shape and tried to save it. The tone from it was very banjo like on the treble strings with very little sustain. The bass had a nice growl to it. The biscuit bridge looked exactly like that one, filed almost all the way down. I put a new Hot Rod cone and biscuit in to see what it would do for the tone. The treble is completely cleaned up and not at all banjo-like and the bass is deeper but does not "growl" quite the same. I really miss the growl and wish I still had just a touch of the banjo quality, somewhere in between the 2 cones (skewed towards the Hot Rod) would be perfect! Overall, it sounds really good and I'm pretty sure I'll keep the Hot Rod in there. They are beautiful instruments for sure but I think I like the tone of a steel bodied Duolian (from the same era) a little better.
gaucho
Regular

Re: Bench Talk #10 Inside a 1931 National Style O

Postby s1120 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice vid Vintage!! Ive watched a bunch of your vids

Kinda cool that as Im reading this post Chris Whitley comes up on my ipod hammering out a tune on a reso!!
s1120
Regular

Return to Guitar