Slide Guitar - Small Amps

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Slide Guitar - Small Amps

Postby tpb1962 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello,

I'd like to hear what people like as far as amps for slide guitar. I'd like to hear about the smaller variety that you do not have to blow the windows out to get the tone. Blues Jr, Super and Vibro Champ XD, Vox AC15, etc. Can they do variety of sounds or maybe good for specific tone like Derek Trucks or D. Allman? I'd also like to hear if any one has tried or heard the Weber DT-10 or 12 speakers.

Thanks,
TPB.
tpb1962
Regular

Re: Slide Guitar - Small Amps

Postby darrenwatson » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ITCsIX5MA

This is a Reverend Jetstream 360 through a Headstrong Lil King-S. I'm also using a HBE CPR compressor.

I find it killer for most things including slide. :D
darrenwatson
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Hard to answer because sound has as much to do with the combination of pickups, string guage, slide, and touch as the amp.

My favorite pickup for slide is the Valco "strings through pickup" they loaded into their lap steels (Loller offers a version of these called the Chicago Steel pickup). I plug into the Reverb/Trem circuit in an old Surpo head (15 or so watts per channel) because that extra 1/2 tube gain stage gives me a dirt under your fingernails sound that I like. I also like to dial in just a tad of slapback echo. My speakers are nothing fancy - just two 1950s RCA 12" loaded in a Blackface Fender Showman cab.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:03 am

You might have just turned on the GAS (or AAS in this case) for me, Lo Fi. I have a chance to pick up a little Vox with a tube gain stage for a reasonable price if it hasn't sold. My present "big" amp is a Washburn Bad Dog, 30w I think. I like the spring reverb but otherwise it's just ok. And for a genuinely small, versatile and portable amp, I bought a Roland Microcube, mains/battery. I use it when I take my lap slide to a cafe occasionally to do little lunchtime gigs. It's perfect for that - quick set up and plenty loud enough. It's easy going stuff - I play for my coffee and the bit of laid back live playing is very satisfying. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:22 am

I use Fender Musicmaster bass amps.
TC6969
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 am

Lo-Fi wrote:My favorite pickup for slide is the Valco "strings through pickup" they loaded into their lap steels (Loller offers a version of these called the Chicago Steel pickup). I plug into the Reverb/Trem circuit in an old Surpo head (15 or so watts per channel) because that extra 1/2 tube gain stage gives me a dirt under your fingernails sound that I like. I also like to dial in just a tad of slapback echo. My speakers are nothing fancy - just two 1950s RCA 12" loaded in a Blackface Fender Showman cab.

Ill have to look into that. Is it for a 6 string lap? I put a strat single coil in my Lapsteel I built, but not realy happy with it. [But you now how it goes... it was in that parts box.... :D]
s1120
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm

s1120 wrote: Ill have to look into that. Is it for a 6 string lap? I put a strat single coil in my Lapsteel I built, but not realy happy with it. [But you now how it goes... it was in that parts box.... :D]

Yeah, Valco/National developed this single coil for use in their lap steels. They were not el cheapo pickups but made with top notch materials and are great sounding pups - got a bit of nastiness to them. They are not really a "strings through" pickup - the pickup just has a cover over it. They were put in Supros, Magnatones, Silvertones, pretty much any lap steel Valco made. The cheapest way to snag one is grab an entry level lap steel like a Supro Student Special.

Thing is these pickups just sound great when slapped into any thing you are going to use to do some slidin'. I have never heard any other single coil that has the same voice.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:32 pm

I love small amps for their portability, but I don't love 'em for their sound. I've owned Champs and similar small cabinet 5-watt variety amps, and I've never liked their "presence", especially in reproducing mids and lows.
For that reason, I'd suggest trying some larger cabinet small output amps. My Epiphone Valve Special with a single 10" speaker(discontinued) has a slightly larger cabinet than my Peavey Classic 30, with its twin 12s. It weighs 37 lbs! I don't like lugging it, but I love the sound.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby torncone » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 am

I really do love my Blues Jr. because of its versatility due to having both a Volume and a Master control. I can get a classic chimey fender clean sound and add reverb to taste, or make it roar like an angry Marshall but at a comfortable home volume by turning the Volume knob to 12 and keeping the Master to about 2 or slightly less. Turning the tone knob at this point and it becomes a distortion tweaker that goes from gritty blues tones to fuzzy power or open chords.
I've had this amp for 5 years, and I'm still finding new sounds in it that can be accessed at very comfortable volume levels.

Dino :D
torncone
Regular

Postby neangler » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:10 pm

I've been playing on a 30watt Vox Valvtronix. It's a modeling amp, so it doesn't have it's own sound, it mimics the sounds of other amps, including Fender, Marshall, and a bunch of others: combos, stacks, etc., etc.. It actually does a very good job of it.

And (this is what I like) it has a headphone jack for private practice. If you don't want to use headphones, there's a dial on the back so you can boost the gain and volume on the top panel to get the full sound like you're filling an auditorium, a la Dwayne Allman (slide guitar, right?), but you can use that knob to turn down the overall volume coming out of the speaker so the guy upstairs doesn't stomp on the floor. The thing is perfect for a small practice amp, but it has the punch when you need it to play in a club. I think there are 15, 30, 50, and 100 watt versions. (Or at least there were when I bought mine.)
neangler
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:13 am

i think it is best to have a variety of amps if you can.i use a '59 bassman RI,a pro junior,two danelectro Dm 25's,a danelectro DM10,a crate V-18,and,well i don't feel like going down and looking at what else is there.one of my favorite amps to use is a 1947 masco me-17 head that i can customize to the club by using different cabs.big place big cab,little place little cab.here it is coming out of a stage monitor instead of a speaker cab : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvfqgynyaI.

here's slide through a pro junior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uceiuV-h ... re=related

i even think there is a time and a place for solid state,like when you travel by motorcycle for example.

just keep your eyes peeled for amps and they turn up.craigslist often has some jems!
bottleneck
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:21 am

tpb1962 wrote:Hello,

I'd like to hear what people like as far as amps for slide guitar. I'd like to hear about the smaller variety that you do not have to blow the windows out to get the tone. Blues Jr, Super and Vibro Champ XD, Vox AC15, etc. Can they do variety of sounds or maybe good for specific tone like Derek Trucks or D. Allman? I'd also like to hear if any one has tried or heard the Weber DT-10 or 12 speakers.

Thanks,
TPB.

The Blues Jr, Super and Vibro Champs, AC15 and any other tube amp, will blow the windows out of your house. My five watt Valve Junior screams and can easily keep up with a heavy handed drummer.

You need to look at amps with small speakers. Fender Champ 600, Valve Jr combo, Vox AC4TV, etc.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby torncone » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:45 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
tpb1962 wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
TPB.

The Blues Jr, Super and Vibro Champs, AC15 and any other tube amp, will blow the windows out of your house. My five watt Valve Junior screams and can easily keep up with a heavy handed drummer.

You need to look at amps with small speakers. Fender Champ 600, Valve Jr combo, Vox AC4TV, etc.

A Blues Jr will NOT blow the windows out of your house unless you want it to. Its 12 inch speaker will graduate tone thoughout its volume range, from quiet to riot, if you learn to manipulate its Volume and Master knobs, and your guitar's Tone and Volume knobs, as I mentioned in my post above. I have a Champ 600, and it is not nearly as versatile tonewise at low volume levels as my Blues Jr.

If you do desire a smaller size amp for whatever reason, the Vox AC4 is a sweetheart blues amp. Before purchasing any amp, take your guitar and go and listen to some in a good shop!

Dino
torncone
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 am

and in really tiny,a danelectro honeytone is handy to have.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby birdmove » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 pm

I got myself a little Bugera BC15 amp recently. It's not a total tube amp, but runs one tube. I'm pretty impressed with the sounds. It has an 8" speaker and no reverb. They also make a 5 watt all tube model, but I forget what thay call it. That one has an extension speaker plug, while my BC15 doesn't. But the BC15 is a $100 amp. It could certainly be miked. I wish my amp had an extension speaker plug, but I'm not in a band.

Jon
birdmove
Regular

Return to Guitar