Gibson raided by G-Men?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson raided by G-Men?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 pm

I Dunno what to make of this, but it's funny trivia IMHO.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: Gibson raided by G-Men?

Postby goldbrick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 pm

Well we got Osama so they gotta do something with our tax dollars

Waco, Ruby Ridge and now Gibson :wink:
goldbrick
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 pm

We all know which Gibson guitar they're really after.

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Good one Al. That's it for sure!! :roll: :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Second time this has happened. If I recall correctly the IRS is also having some issues with that company.

Hey, maybe G men just want to rock and figured it was a good way to grab a few very nice Les Pauls.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Gibson could use a new guy. Henry J just isn't cutting it. Have you played a Gibson lately?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 am

Gotta agree - Maybe selling Gibson to a guy like Hartley Peavey would not be such a bad thing. At least it would be the first time since around 1965 that Gibson was under someone who built guitars for a living rather than a bean counter.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby 2slow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Gibson is being screwed.Do some research.They bought the same ebony from Madagascar that Martin buys. The govt.
has grabbed wood from Gibson ,but hasn't filed specific charges.This has been going on for 2 years.Just a coincidence
I guess, that Gibson donated to the republican party and Chris Martin XIV(?) gave money to the democrats.

Norlin Corp. bought Gibson in 1969 and ran it into the ground.Gibson was in bankruptcy in 1986 when Henry J and Berryman
saved it.If it was'nt for Henry there wouldn't be a Gibson company anymore.He's a player not a builder,that's why he
sought out Ren Ferguson,a master luthier.He hired all first class help to rebuild Gibson. The man loves the company
and the instruments.You can call him a bean-counter,that shows me that you don't anything about him.BTW I have
played a Gibson lately,more than one,they sound as good or better than any Gibson built in the"vintage" years.
2slow
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am

Gibson, of course, now has been raided a second time - this time for Indian Rosewood.

I agree that Gibson seems to be targeted. I caught Henry J. on the tube the other night (I think Gibson might do well getting another spokesman) and he stated the judge actually said maybe they should consider building guitars in Madagascar.

I think the Feds would make better use of their time by investigating something that really hits home like Gibson's role in alien abductions.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:52 am

2slow wrote:Norlin Corp. bought Gibson in 1969 and ran it into the ground.Gibson was in bankruptcy in 1986 when Henry J and Berryman
saved it.If it was'nt for Henry there wouldn't be a Gibson company anymore.He's a player not a builder,that's why he
sought out Ren Ferguson,a master luthier.He hired all first class help to rebuild Gibson. The man loves the company
and the instruments.You can call him a bean-counter,that shows me that you don't anything about him.BTW I have
played a Gibson lately,more than one,they sound as good or better than any Gibson built in the"vintage" years.

Gibson was being run into the ground well before Norlin came into the picture. It started in 1965 when Arnie Berlin (the "in" in Norlin) took over CMI and forced Ted McCarty out.

Henry J is a Harvard educated investment banker. No doubt he is a good one as he did save Gibson which started turning a profit within a month of his taking over. But the guitar maker is now rated one of the worst U.S. companies to work for largely due to the climate created by Henry J. Not exactly what you would expect from a guy who is in it for love of the guitars.

Regarding Bozeman (which is pretty much run an as independent shop), I have played Gibson acosutics since the 1960s (and still own three made between 1946 and 1960) and find the Bozeman guitars do not have the same sound the old ones do. Not saying they sound bad or anything - just different.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bobby81 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Our Government has nothing better to do than to send armed agents into Gibson guitars to seize wood? Were they expecting a fire fight? Your tax dollars at work.
bobby81
Regular

Return to Guitar