Epiphone L-00 parlour guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Epiphone L-00 parlour guitar

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 am

Hi folks,
There is little opportunity to purchase parlour guitars in New Zealand.
At present one of our online retailers has a new, old stock, 2004 Epiphone Elite L-00 for sale for for NZ$1200.
This seems to be quite a bit , but I hear these guitars are pretty good.
What I really want to know is how do these differ form the Epiphone L-00s for sale at Musicians Friend for US$299.
So far, all I can find out is that the Elite was made in Japan and has been discontinued and the L-00 is currently made in China. Seems like a hell of a difference in price!
Otherwise the specs look just the same to me.
kiwiblues
Regular

Re: Epiphone L-00 parlour guitar

Postby k1w1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 am

I had a Chinese EL-00 about 5 years ago, the back and sides were laminate and the top was really thin spruce, it was nice enough but really just average. I understand the Japanese Elites are a way better guitar. I bought it in the states for about $500 landed here. I did like the size, but I'll stick with my cheap Stellas.
k1w1
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 am

The Epi Elite L-00/VS is a fairly rare bird - they were only made in 2004 and 2005. I have played a couple and they were good sounding and playing guitars.

Although I did not like them as much as the also discontinued Epi Blues Master, the Elite L-00 blows the standard L-00 out of the water. The standard EL-00s I have played just sounded flat out tinny and thin. No oomph to them at all.
Last edited by Lo-Fi on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 am

The Elite series are better made . Solid woods , no laminates . Better tuners . Little bit fancier . I think they might have a bone nut and saddle . But , really big difference in price . Never played one , but I hear they sound great . Shame you can't check it out first .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 am

I've just given my Epi L00 to a friend to sell on behalf in his new used instrument shop here in Dunedin. Lo-Fi has it right. There's no punch in them. Mine was one of the later Chinese made ones but the earlier Korean ones were inferior and can be identified by the white button tuners and the more rounded lower bout. I really wanted to like my Epi and did everything I could to make her sound better - bone nut & saddle which I widened back towards the pins to get the intonation right. But she was still very ordinary. The nut was 1 11/16 which, coupled with the very thin neck, didn't feel right on an acoustic. I have no experience with respect of this Epi 00 Elite, but firstly K1W1, it's an entirely different beast than the MF one, and secondly, I'd definitely get hands on it before I put my $$$ down. And fwiw, none of the above are parlour guitars and they are even pretty big for a 00 with lower bout more than 15". :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 am

Ended up getting a Takamine New Yorker after playing one at the Rockshop.
A very pretty and nice sounding guitar Bright as... :) :) :)
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Ended up getting a Takamine New Yorker after playing one at the Rockshop.
A very pretty and nice sounding guitar Bright as... :) :) :)

I just Googled this. Nice-looking guitar; looks just like my newly acquired Loar LH200 (which I'm loving more each day) except not a sunburst finish. Even the headstock is similar. Let us know how you like it as she gets some miles on her.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby gaucho » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:06 pm

I love parlor guitars almost as much as resos. Anyone ever tried the Washburn? Sure is a purdy one....
http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-R320SWRK ... B002XFD1VA

I'm a sucker for vintage parlors, especially with slotted headstocks and tail pieces. Here are 2 of mine from the 50's-ish, that I got dirt cheap and fixed up. One is a Stella and the other I'm not sure about. Got it off E-bay for $15. I put bone nuts and bridges and made $5 peizo pick ups for each of them. The headstock badge on the one is just a little silver piece I had laying around. The action is good on both and, when played with a slide they sound as good or better than anything I've tried. I love 'em and it's gratifying to save them from the junk heap!

gaucho
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Nice guitars gaucho. Yes there seems to be a lot of scope for purchasing secondhand parlour guitars in the US as they were very popular and cheap way back.
In New Zealand there are very few come up for sale as I don't think many were sold here.
There's the usual range of cheapo kids toys which is as close as you can get to them.
I looked at the Washburns online but most US dealers wouldn't ship to me.
What gauge strings do you use on yours?

Brian
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby gaucho » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:54 am

I put on 13's ( Martin SP) but ended up going a bit smaller on the bass string (56 to 54 maybe?). It sounds really good. The string spacing and fretboard width is kinda tight. It doesn't look like it in the photo, but it's a bit smaller than the Stella. I'm not a great player, but I can get a pretty clean tone out of it when I play it a bit. It's surprisingly loud too! Sounds great plugged into my little busking amp.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm

While there does not appear to be a set size for a parlor guitar these days - most of what folks call parlor guitars are what I would call a Size O or maybe a concert. If you look at an 1880s Martin catalog, their parlor guitar has a lower bout less than 13 1/2" wide. I have actually seen some old parlors measuring as small as 8".
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar