Them Brown Guitars!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Them Brown Guitars!

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Ever since I got my greasy fingers on a 1950s Martin 00-17 a while back I have had a hankering for a mahogany top guitar. Problem is I am cheap. A month or so back I happend across an early 1970s Guild mahogany top, flat back D-25. Poor little thing had been sitting in a closet for alot of years and with good reason. It was busted up all to hell - everything from a broken neck on down. But I oculd not argue with the price. So what the heck says I.

Took a bit of work but I muddled through and last weekend I gigged with it. Made it though the night without the sound of splintering wood and snapping strings.

If you ain't tried a brown guitar ya should. They have a voice all their own. I play with my fingers and even played a little bottleneck. Full and warm sounding. A pretty slow attack but the guitar makes up for it with tons of sustain - this sucker will ring till Kingdom Come. The volume - it ain't the loudest guitar I own. But it probably needs some time to shake off the cobwebs and wake up. If not. it would be another good reason to hunker down and get the hang of a thumbpick.

On top of how good it plays and sounds the feeling that bringing a guitar bound for the trash heap back to life and letting it do what it was designed to do is something else.

It may not be purty - but it is still holding together. A word of warning - not for the squeamish.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Them Brown Guitars!

Postby goldbrick » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:35 pm

I am not much of an acoustic steel string guitar fan but my only real one is a martin 000-15 brownie
To me just funkier than a brite spruce top
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Agree. Very different sound than a cedar or spruce top guitar which is why I have been a wanting one.

Here is the guitar all patched up - not fully finished but close enough for rock & roll.

Last edited by Lo-Fi on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I love the sound of mahogany top acoustics. I had an old, all mahogany Harmony for a while that sounded amazing. Wish I still had it, but it's a family guitar that floats around to any of the cousins that are interested in learning to play.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Guitar