Rat Rod Tricone Cutaway, Black

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Rat Rod Tricone Cutaway, Black

Postby The Breeze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

It's here! A moment to savour...
IMG_0473a.jpg
The Breeze
Regular

Re: Rat Rod Tricone Cutaway, Black

Postby eldergreene » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Enjoy your guitar! & perhaps you could let us know how it sounds in the bass dept, as I've been considering getting one, but am concerned that the cutaway might lessen the low end a tad? Would be most interested in a review of this model..
eldergreene
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:53 pm

eldergreene wrote:but am concerned that the cutaway might lessen the low end a tad?

That's not going to affect it much. Don't be scrupulous about such things. The low end isn't changed by a cutaway, unless of course you think it is and you swear that you can definitely hear the profound change in tone. Then you're screwed. :lol:
Stackabones
Regular

Postby 29er » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Yes, a review & some pics are required :D
29er
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Cutaways do nothing to the tone. If you like 'em, get it. If you don't like the look, stay away, but don't worry about the tone, extremely minimal.
Neal
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:48 pm

eldergreene wrote: I've been considering getting one, but am concerned that the cutaway might lessen the low end a tad?

Can you explain how you could possibly think this?

I've heard people worry about some weird shit before when buying a guitar but this takes the cake!
TC6969
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Well it's a tricone and it's black, but it sure isn't a cutaway. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, I'll wait to hear back from Len. Either way I'll get some photos and give you my opinions.

eldergreene wrote:Enjoy your guitar! & perhaps you could let us know how it sounds in the bass dept, as I've been considering getting one, but am concerned that the cutaway might lessen the low end a tad? Would be most interested in a review of this model..

I have alway found tone to be elusive... Particularly as the same guitar can sound different in a carpeted room than it does in one with a laminate floor. I tend to judge guitars by how easily they come alive in your hands, if you have to work at it the guitar is pretty dead. Besides I think you could only tell the difference if you had a reference point.
The Breeze
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Well Breeze, if yours doesn't have a cutaway, I guess it's a moot point - by way of explanation, though, I recall reading ( possibly on the IGS forum ) that the reduction in body-size caused by a cutaway has a slight but noticeable adverse effect on bass response - I'm not making it up, honest! I'd be very pleased if that's not the case, since I love the tricone sound ( I've had a 1930 style 1 spanish for years ), but like to play capoed, & the cutaway would certainly help - I'm interested to read your review of the guitar anyway, everything I've read about the Hotrods is very positive,

regards,

eg
eldergreene
Regular

Return to Guitar