Need Advice For On Line Blues Guitar Lessons.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Need Advice For On Line Blues Guitar Lessons.

Postby resonator » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me for on line blues guitar lessons or DVD's.
resonator
Regular

Re: Need Advice For On Line Blues Guitar Lessons.

Postby straightblues » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 pm

There are lots and lots of free lessons on You Tube. Put in "Blues Guitar Lessons" and you will find lots of stuff. If you find a particular teacher that you like, go to his or her website and buy some lessons from them.
straightblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am

Folks I know rave about using Skype for lessons which I gather is in real time. So you might look at that. A friend of mine who is a heck of a harp player and is just now getting into guitar has been taking lessons with a Kenny Blue Ray and tells me it has really been working out well.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby gaucho » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:33 am

Search for Keni Lee Burgess on You Tube.
gaucho
Regular

Postby straightblues » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 am

Skype is a way to make phone calls over the internet. They have cameras so you can see the other person. Guitar teachers are using this technology to give lessons to people all over the world. So if there is a teacher you might want to take lessons from but they don't live in an area that you can drive to their house, then you could maybe do it over Skype.

Kenny Blue Ray is a hell of a player with a great blues resume.
straightblues
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:39 am

I have taken a lot of lessons over the years--not on Skype, which I think would be good--but from personal teachers. In the last few years, I just save my money and go to as many blues week events as I can afford--where I usually get enough to work on for the next year or so. In the meantime I buy teaching DVD's from companies like Homespun Tapes. I prefer the DVD's because I can just back it up as much as I want to to go over things--and the instruction is usually right on target as far as what I need--and it's all from recognized players who really know their stuff. If I get busy and don't practice for a week or a year, no problem, I just pick up wherever I want to. If I want to review a lesson I did two years ago--I just load up the lesson and do it. If I don't like a song that is being presented, I just skip it.

The courses usually cost about $30 and I think they would usually be about the equal of 5 to 10 lessons if you took them face to face. That is one hell of a deal. The lessons are usually rated as beginner, intermediate and advanced--and it pays to be very honest with yourself when you buy them because an intermediate will have a very hard time with an advanced course, and would go crazy trying to do a beginner course. Even the download ones have tablature in PDF files.
OldWailer
Regular

Return to Guitar