rogue resanator guitar?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

rogue resanator guitar?

Postby s1120 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Anyone have one? I am looking to add to the guarter stash, and have wanted a resanator for a long time. I dont realy have a ton of cash to spend, so I was looking at these. It looks like most reviews are pretty good, except for a few bad ones right off the bat. So any real world reviews from you fellow blues guys??

And just as a little extra info.... Im real handy with building/fixing stuff, and am not afread to dive in and replace a cone, bridge, or other stuff down the road.
s1120
Regular

Re: rogue resanator guitar?

Postby zhyla » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

I've got the brass bodied model. It's a 2005. Great guitar. I swapped the cone for a National cone but I wouldn't say that's needed, I just had try it.

If you're looking at the spider model I would recommend also eyeing the Recording King spider. It's a little bit more dough but very nicely finished and sounds fantastic.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby s1120 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:22 am

zhyla wrote:I've got the brass bodied model. It's a 2005. Great guitar. I swapped the cone for a National cone but I wouldn't say that's needed, I just had try it.

If you're looking at the spider model I would recommend also eyeing the Recording King spider. It's a little bit more dough but very nicely finished and sounds fantastic.

I'm looking at the biscuit one. Eater wood or the brass. How do you like the one you have?
s1120
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

These are the two Im looking at...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-tra ... 1000010000

the wood triolian, or...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-tra ... 2000000000

the brass body resonator..

Im open to any pro's and cons.. I dont have much more in the wallet for much more.. House, and two young kids keeps funds light for my toys!!!!! Anything else good in that range???? Ive looked used... but not a lot around my area...
s1120
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Be advised!

The wood body Triolian isnt the same body style as the rest of the import resos.

Musicians friend uses photo angles to disguise it but if you look at the amount of wood between the edge of the cone and the edge of the body and compare you can see the difference.

The body is larger AND thicker that the brass one or anything else I've seen and I didn't like the one I bought at all .

If you think youre going to get the same body as the Epiphone biscuit or a Republic wood body triolian, you will be disapointed.

It feels like a regular guitar that has had a resonator and a cover added to it.
TC6969
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

TC6969 wrote:Be advised!

The wood body Triolian isnt the same body style as the rest of the import resos.

Musicians friend uses photo angles to disguise it but if you look at the amount of wood between the edge of the cone and the edge of the body and compare you can see the difference.

The body is larger AND thicker that the brass one or anything else I've seen and I didn't like the one I bought at all .

If you think youre going to get the same body as the Epiphone biscuit or a Republic wood body triolian, you will be disapointed.

It feels like a regular guitar that has had a resonator and a cover added to it.

thanks for the tip. Ya, looking at it, it does look to be normal guitar sized.
s1120
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 pm

i think the wood bodied triolian is a pretty nice guitar for the money.i played one and it was a lot nicer than most inexpensive resos.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Re: rogue resos

Postby michaelm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 pm

I have, or have had, a few of the Rogue and other Asian imports from MF including a Rogue round-neck spider-cone reso. In my experience, the main thing about these Asian instruments is the quality control or lack thereof. The first reso I received was not playable, fixable but definitely not playable out of the box, so I sent it back. The replacement was playable, but the round screen sound hole covers kept falling out. I decided to keep it and do the repair myself rather than send another one back. Since then, I've done a little setup and 'fix-up' over time, but basically it's been a real good guitar for the price.

On another front, I got a Rogue lap steel with a dead pickup. That was OK, but only because I already had the pickup that I wanted to replace the stock one with. Some years ago now, I bought a Rogue 12-string flattop on sale REAL CHEAP and I wouldn't trade it for any thing that I've played at six or eight times the price. So in my experience, if you're willing to put up with no quality control at the factory and no setup at the vendor, then you might get a real good deal. Or not. Of course, YMMV.
michaelm
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

It was a while back, but I did own one of these. I spent a bunch of time trying to make the sound well level and smooth, I worked on the bridge to get it to match the radius of the neck and I did get these things right, but I could not ever connect with the guitar.
I eventually sold it and chalked it up to experience and moved on to a Recording King Spider bridge model.
The one I bought I purchased from a ebay seller that sells Recording King seconds, it really just had some finish flaws that didn't bother me at all. I think I bought it for $200.
I still have it and play it whenever I want that sound.
I hope you find what will make you happy.
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 am

Well still shopping. :D I think I might end up going with the wood bodied one. Playing vid clips of bolth, I realy like the more bluesy sound of the brass bodied one, but the wood bodied one is a little smother sounding, and might be better for more styles of music. Also at $150 cheeper, its a saving that I can put towards getting some lessons!
s1120
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Heres one I'm turning loose.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/msg/2521648134.html

I'll give you 10% off to help with shipping but its still gonna run $60+ to get it to New York.
TC6969
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:43 pm

You might look at the Beard Goldtones. Pricier than the Regals and others but in my opinion well worth it when it comes to build quality and sound.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm

TC6969 wrote:Heres one I'm turning loose.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/msg/2521648134.html

I'll give you 10% off to help with shipping but its still gonna run $60+ to get it to New York.

She's a looker for sure!!!!! I'll hash it over a little bit, and research a little and drop you a pm
s1120
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Well I passed on the Rogue... And thanks to TC6969 I got my new resonator!!!!
Attachments
reso2.JPG
reso4.JPG
s1120
Regular

Return to Guitar