Rattling Resonator

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Rattling Resonator

Postby Poppyh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 am

Hello, I read somewhere that this is the best place to come for advice on a resonator guitar. I've got a fender FR50 Res, someone decided to slam it on the floor, so now whenever I strum it, it makes a horrible rumbling/rattling distorted noise. I took the plate off as i was told it's probably a loose screw. The screw right in the centre of the plate cannot be reached, it's blocked by a wooden block the strings rest on (sorry no technical names!). And after reassembling it, I am assuming it's that...? How do I reach it? Another problem i had was the plate was sitting on enevenly at first but i've tightened the screws and it's fine so i don't think it is this causing the noise. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know, i don't really want to take it to a repair shop where the person fixing it probably has no more of an idea than I do

Thanks!
Poppyh
Regular

Re: Rattling Resonator

Postby TC6969 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 pm

If you cant access the screw through the cover because the wood that the strings sit on is in the way, then you have had a SERIOUS shifting around of some parts that arent supposed to move.

There is a an aluminum frame called a spider that sits on the cone and TWO wood pieces for the strings are attached to it with a space in the middle for the screw.

You're supposed to be able to stick a screwdriver through the hole in the cover, go between the wood pieces,through a hole in the spider and get to the screw.

if your screwdriver is blocked by wood, then something is bent BADLY!
TC6969
Regular

Return to Guitar