Got an NRP

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Got an NRP

Postby abhinav » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 am

Hi,
Got my first National from Lenny (VintageNationals), an NRP duolian homage. Out of the box, it sounds pretty amazing. A wonderfully complex tone, great sustain, great bass. The trebles--perfect for fingerstyle, but just a little weak for bottleneck. So, beefed the first two strings. Sounded quite balanced after that. For good measure, being a sucker for even more bass, beefed up the fifth and sixth strings as well. No perceptible choking of the sound. The bass is true, trebles and mid clear, note separation excellent. It does not have much of a trash can sound, as one might expect, it being a steel body. A much more complex tone.
I have a couple of Republics, that I have been pretty happy with, especially the brass single cone (the other being a tricone). The single cone is well set, I've had it for about two and a half years now. It has a very good sound, which was
appreciably improved by replacing the stock biscuit bridge with an NRP one (a tip I got at the Michael Messers forum). The National, without a doubt, is a superior instrument--louder, richer in sound, and a lot more bass. Makes me want to save for
an NRP tricone now!
abhinav
Regular

Re: Got an NRP

Postby Mars » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Congrats! I upgraded to a National Tri-Cone from a Republic and it is a noticibly better instrument. It was the details that were most noticeable; the corner joints, neck finish and profile, etc... I love mine. Now you need to post a song with it.
Mars
Regular

Postby abhinav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:17 pm

The song will come at some point of time, sure. For now, I am just spellbound by this instrument! The neck frets like butter, to add to it. Intonation is perfect on the first five strings, not a cent off, and just a couple of cents off on the sixth string.
Amazing craftsmanship.
abhinav
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Congrats on the new geetar. I have a real thing for Duolians and love the percussive attack, quick note decay, and just plain brashness of the things.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby abhinav » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks. Though, far as the sound goes, I would consider it to be a cross between a duolian and a style O.
abhinav
Regular

Return to Guitar