Silk & Steel strings

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Silk & Steel strings

Postby De Ferre » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi!

I've been wondering whether I should give a go at those Silk & Steel strings on my L-00. I've never tried them and I'm reading mixed reviews... have you any experience on them?

Thanks!!!
De Ferre
Regular

Re: Silk & Steel strings

Postby OldWailer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Wow! A blast from the past--those were big news in 1964 when we were all trying to figure out what in the hell Blind Blake was doing on those old 78's.

I remember putting a set on my Martin D-28--they were really easy to play but didn't sing loud enough for me, I think--these are memories that come from a time that is not known to be remembered very clearly. Maybe they're better now, when people don't have so many drugs in their ears. . . :oops:
OldWailer
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 am

I tried them in the early eighties - they had a delicate ladylike sound and they were rather easier on the fingers than steel strings. I doubt they've changed since then.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Freeman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:14 pm

People occassionally put them on 12 strings to make them easier to play. I think there are better ways. However, strings are cheap, give them a try and form your own opinion.
Freeman
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks!

I'll give them a try.
I wanted a mellower sound for recording and perhaps they're the thing... :wha:
De Ferre
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I have used them on some really old guitars that were not braced for steel strings. Sure like 'em better than nylon strings but they were still too quiet and mellow sounding for me. But if you want to give them a whirl the heavier guage you use the better the sound. With silk and steel strings though you never feel like you are fighting the guitar.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm not a fan of them, personally. I don't mind the tone, but they have a really sloppy feel to me. But I like heavy strings, so that's to be expected. They're nice for folky fingerpicked stuff, though. Especially if you're playing with a quiet singer.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Guitar