Electric slide guitar customization

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Electric slide guitar customization

Postby cj48 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 am

Hey folks, I've got this Fender starter stratocaster that I play around with every now and then, but I don't have much use for it otherwise. I remember seeing a guy named Kirk Lorange on YouTube raising the action on his strings and putting some heavy gauges on it. How would I go about it, what's the general price range, and could I do it myself or should I have somebody professional do it? Thanks for the help
cj48
Regular

Re: Electric slide guitar customization

Postby TC6969 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 am

Try the heavy strings first.

You might not need to raise the action.
TC6969
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

...and if you do want to raise the action, you just use the tiny allan key that came with the guitar to raise the saddles. Very straight forward.

If you do want to pay someone to do it, just have a repair shop do a setup on it, with instructions to put on heavy strings (.011s or .012s) and to leave the action high but still fret-able. Learning to do your own setups is very worthwhile and just takes some reading and trial and error.

If your Strat has a floating bridge (for the vibrato whammy bar), you'll probably want to at least lock it down with some extra springs, if not block it up with a piece of scrap wood.

I blocked the vibrato on my cheap Yamaha Strat clone many moons ago, and put some instructions up. I just use five springs on my other Strat.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm

I used to have a new nut cut with shallower grooves so the strings ran a bit higher. But as pointed out a setup might not be necessary.

Generally, 11 guage strings and a glass slide sound awful sweet to my old ears.

With a metal slide, I like 12 guage flatwounds - something I learned from playing lap steel. Less rattle, more sustain and an overall fatter sound.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar