Tele Star Parlor guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Tele Star Parlor guitar

Postby gaucho » Sun May 22, 2011 1:36 am

Anyone know about these? I know it's a cheap Japanese (possibly Harmony?) Stella kinda thing. Maybe 60's or 70's? I just scored this one for $20. I love the tone of 50's-60's Stellas for bottleneck blues and I'm hoping this one sounds similar.

gaucho
Regular

Re: Tele Star Parlor guitar

Postby texas blues » Sun May 22, 2011 2:00 am

I don't know a damn 'thang about that guitar but I will say...for 20 shekels...play the hell out of it!!
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 am

It seems that you haven't received the guitar at the time of writing because there's a name on the peghead and on the label inside (or is it "branded a "Tele Star"?) Also you'd have played it and given us an idea of its sound.

There is a weekly auction here in Dunedin which I used to keep an eye on when my health was better and this kind of guitar frequently came up. Most often Chinese, always all plywood, a bent or broken tuner or two, frequently zero fret and if not a floating bridge with tailpiece then the bridge was often shearing from the top. I have bought a couple over the years and they are good for experimenting on. One of these, about 22"scale I simply made playable in case my grandchildren show an interest and the other one I took the bridge off and made a fretless fingerboard with floating bridge and tailpiece. Strung with flatwound E A D and nylon G B e its quite a nice little instrument for experimenting with, especially with non-standard tunings.

Keep us posted on your find, Gaucho. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:25 am

That's dedfinitely not a pre 1974 Harmony, body shape and neck are wrong as is the headstock. The jap Harmonys are post 1974 and have Est 1892 on the label. Not sure what you have but hey for $20 can't go wrong. I just got my Stella 927 up and running, sweet birch tone.
k1w1
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun May 22, 2011 3:23 pm

It's a Tele Star brand and made in Japan. I'm guessing late 60's to early 70's. I have 2 Stellas from 50-60's that I love for bottleneck and I'm really hoping this one has a similar tone. I like the look of this one and for $20 I figured I couldn't go to far wrong!
gaucho
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 am

gaucho wrote: I like the look of this one and for $20 I figured I couldn't go to far wrong!

Heck no. $20 in NZ buys you about four coffees. One of the guitars I mentioned above (the small one) sounds just like Robert Johnson's guitar on those primitive recordings. Kind of ironic really when we spend moderate to big $$$ for a name guitar and the "authentic blues sound" when you can get it (as it sounds on record) from a $20 ply job. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Exactly! I can get alot closer to the tone I'm lusting for on my $20 Stellas than on my expensive resos!
gaucho
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Well I got it in the mail yesterday. What a cheap, piece of crap guitar! But I cleaned it up, put a bone nut and new strings on it and it sounds pretty awesome (in a Seasick Steve, POS guitar, down and dirty blues kinda way)! Then I made a $4 piezo tab pick-up, installed it, plugged it in and BAM! I'm pretty stoked on it! Definitely $20 well spent!
gaucho
Regular

Return to Guitar