My first stompbox

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

My first stompbox

Postby crispy » Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I just thought id share a little pic of my first homemade item. I managed to get all the bits off ebay for under a tenner. I just hope it lasts............ :lol:

Cheers

Jason
Attachments
IMG00219-20110520-1719.jpg
crispy
Regular

Re: My first stompbox

Postby zhyla » Fri May 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Very cool. Care to detail what you used inside? Piezo? Dynamic mic?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby OldWailer » Fri May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

An old speaker screwed to the lid also works nicely. (speakers work both ways--that's why we get feed-back) Here's a video on a set of foot drums I made a year or so ago that
might of interest on this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3Ch6Qs7uI

These have worked well for me--but the stompbox is much easier to carry around when you play the street. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby crispy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

OldWailer, im loving the foot drum! That might be something i look into making. Are they stable enough once you get into your playing?

Zhyla, I used a very cheap and nasty microphone from a karaoke machine. It doesn't sound the best but its a start, i need to fiddle with position of the mic to get the best sound......
crispy
Regular

Postby crispy » Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm

here is a photo off the mic set up...........any other ideas/suggestions welcome!!!!
Attachments
IMG00220-20110520-1719.jpg
crispy
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:18 pm

@crispy - I've used the foot drums on the street a couple of times--and I still like to just practice around my shop with them--sometimes I get pretty carried away and start hitting them pretty hard, but they have held up well so far. I mostly go pretty soft on them so I don't drown out the guitar, voice, and harp. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 am

OldWailer wrote:@crispy - I've used the foot drums on the street a couple of times--and I still like to just practice around my shop with them--sometimes I get pretty carried away and start hitting them pretty hard, but they have held up well so far. I mostly go pretty soft on them so I don't drown out the guitar, voice, and harp. . .

On the street, what amp are you using? I'm comin' around to maybe using one of these. I'm digging the low end thump.
texas blues
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 pm

I used to use a Hog 30--but it stopped working and I didn't have time to fix it before a gig, so I went and bought a $100 solid state amp--don't even remember the name right now--it's one of those that, if it fails, you can just take it back to Guitar Center and they give you a new one. Anyway--I added a Duracell power supply to power it--now I can use pretty much anything I want without needing power--I have a Behringer mixer that I plug into the amp--then I can put my mics, stomp box, and guitar all into the same amp and have control over the volume of each one separately on the mixer. It ain't state of the art sound system--but it works for just me and my kind of music--I don't usually need to get real loud. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm a harper, so don't pay any attention to me, but this topic's been one of the more fun ones to come up on this forum over the years; for buskers, I've always thought that a stompbox that doubles as a gear hauler-- or as is most common, a gear hauler that doubles as a stompbox-- is the most economical and practical approach.
I've used stompboxes jammin' harp, and for a solo standup act, it's the feshizzle. :D
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JLHooker » Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Yesterday I went in an antique(junk) store and found the makings for a stomp box.It's 24"x12"x4" wooden box that some kind of wine was packaged in.I went to Best Buy and found a cheap $25.00 mic.I stuck the mic under the box and plugged it into my Peavey Delta Blues 210 with the vol. down to 2.It sounds good,also cheap and easy.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby crowhue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

OldWailer wrote:@crispy - I've used the foot drums on the street a couple of times--and I still like to just practice around my shop with them--sometimes I get pretty carried away and start hitting them pretty hard, but they have held up well so far. I mostly go pretty soft on them so I don't drown out the guitar, voice, and harp. . .

That is one cool pedal. I take it, its some kind of rythm box.
crowhue
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 pm

OldWailer wrote:I used to use a Hog 30--but it stopped working and I didn't have time to fix it before a gig, so I went and bought a $100 solid state amp--don't even remember the name right now--it's one of those that, if it fails, you can just take it back to Guitar Center and they give you a new one. Anyway--I added a Duracell power supply to power it--now I can use pretty much anything I want without needing power--I have a Behringer mixer that I plug into the amp--then I can put my mics, stomp box, and guitar all into the same amp and have control over the volume of each one separately on the mixer. It ain't state of the art sound system--but it works for just me and my kind of music--I don't usually need to get real loud. . .

Old Wailer, do Behringer make a small battery operated mixer I could use for busking?
No I've made a stomp box I can't plug my mic into the street cube!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:02 am

I haven't been playing the street at all lately - a few farmers markets a year is all I scratch that itch with these days. But my foot percussion set up in the booth has also been used at the markets - a Hansenfutz pedal http://www.hansenfutz.com/ with a cowbell taped to it. When it wants electrifying, I use a Creme de Mentia contact mic http://www.getlofi.com/?page_id=1472 these are great, and cheap. Could just tape one to - just about anything.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar