A pair of Weissenborns

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

A pair of Weissenborns

Postby Freeman » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 pm

The koa twins. Number One has a couple of coats of zpoxy pore filler, Number Two was just closed and will get routed for the binding tonight

Freeman
Regular

Re: A pair of Weissenborns

Postby OldWailer » Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Those are spectacular! I'd love to build one someday--but the damn wood costs more than buying one from Republic!

Very nice job, man. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Freeman » Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 pm

OldWailer wrote:Those are spectacular! I'd love to build one someday--but the damn wood costs more than buying one from Republic!

Very nice job, man. . .

One problem with wood is that you need very long pieces (however there was a recent article in American Lutherie where they spliced some scrap together). I was fortunate - when I called Bruce at Notable Tonewoods, he not only had some pieces of koa long enough, but by carefull nesting them I could fit two guitars into them. In addition, the originals were built with relatively low figured wood - that helps bring the cost down and lots of folks are making them out of mahogany with spruce tops.

They are relatively easy to build - kind of like a big dulcimer. No neck, no neck joint or head block, no frets (just inlays). When all is done I will post a complete build thread and some clips.
Freeman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed May 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Very cool. I'd like to see the insides if you've got any pics of bracing etc. I've thought of building one of these but I don't really play lap style much. Love the sound of them though.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby zissou intern » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 am

These are beautiful! I like everything about them. The headstock shape is just different enough from the original to make it unique, yet it still fits with the body design.

Do you have any newer pictures?

Z.I.
zissou intern
Regular

Postby Freeman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

zissou intern wrote:These are beautiful! I like everything about them. The headstock shape is just different enough from the original to make it unique, yet it still fits with the body design.

Do you have any newer pictures?

Z.I.

Thank you - the feeling is that the stock headstock is a little tight on string spacing - the 2nd and 5th strings hit the posts for 1 and 6 - that little flair on the side of the headstock is designed to give a little more clearance. I widened #2 a little more. I finished No 1 yesterday, strung it up, brought it in the house, turned on the recorder and started playing it. This is literally its first song - obviously I've got a bit to learn about it LOL

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... enborn.mp3

Last edited by Freeman on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freeman
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:19 am

That is just beautiful--something to be really proud of--well done!
OldWailer
Regular

Postby s1120 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:38 pm

That sounds GREAT!!!!!
s1120
Regular

Postby Freeman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Here are a few more pictures

And the specs - koa with maple binding, mahogany head block, koa headplate, rosewood fretboard and bridge. The "frets" are maple inlays in the f/b. Finish is KTM-9 water based lacquer over Zpoxy pore filler. Built from plans of a 1930 Weiss, but with more modern bracing. Normal tuning is either open D or G, played lap style with a steel guitar steel.

Number two has been bound and gaged and is coming along slowly

One more clip, this time in open G

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... enborn.mp3

Just for laughs, I had Steamboat recorded on a 12 string, my spider Dobro, my biscuit Duolian and the koa tricone. The Weissie and spider are played lap style with a Shubb steel (which I am just starting to learn), the others are played Spanish style with a Tribotone. Be gentle on me when you listen LOL.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... -_OM12.mp3

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... _Dobro.mp3

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... uolian.mp3

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php ... ricone.mp3
Freeman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 am

Brilliant craftsmanship, Freeman. Those Weisseys are to be really proud of. Congratulations. Peace. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby zissou intern » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Freeman,

Do you have any pictures of #2? Number 1 is a beauty and sounds great.

Z.I.
zissou intern
Regular

Postby Freeman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:24 pm

zissou intern wrote:Freeman,

Do you have any pictures of #2? Number 1 is a beauty and sounds great.

Z.I.

The koa twins

I will deliver Number Two to its new owner tonight and will try to get some clips.
Freeman
Regular

Return to Guitar