Gibson Hummingbird Pro Acoustic Review

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson Hummingbird Pro Acoustic Review

Postby reverbunit » Thu May 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Yes Yes Yes. I bought a new acustic and i freakin LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If anyone is looking for a good acoustic i highly recommend this guitar. Anyone else own it?

reverbunit
Regular

Re: Gibson Hummingbird Pro Acoustic Review

Postby texas blues » Fri May 06, 2011 2:32 am

Very cool review Scott. First off, I wouldn't necessarily change the bridge to facilitate slide but rather it sounds like the guitar needs a bit of neck relief via truss bar adjustment to do away with the fretting out. Secondly, that would also cure the slide slap that you seemed to experience a bit of in the demo, however you were also using what appears to be a metal slide. Good sound on that Humbird but I found it more of a Martin sound compared to other Gibsons but that could be the internet and my speaky's. How does it compare to the standard J-45? Looks to be more or less the same guitar but with a cutaway and electronics. Do you know if bracing is different? I ask as I have been coveting a J-45 sans electronics, much preferring to mic with a good condenser. Your response is much appreciated.
texas blues
Regular

Postby reverbunit » Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm

texas blues wrote:Very cool review Scott. First off, I wouldn't necessarily change the bridge to facilitate slide but rather it sounds like the guitar needs a bit of neck relief via truss bar adjustment to do away with the fretting out. Secondly, that would also cure the slide slap that you seemed to experience a bit of in the demo, however you were also using what appears to be a metal slide. Good sound on that Humbird but I found it more of a Martin sound compared to other Gibsons but that could be the internet and my speaky's. How does it compare to the standard J-45? Looks to be more or less the same guitar but with a cutaway and electronics. Do you know if bracing is different? I ask as I have been coveting a J-45 sans electronics, much preferring to mic with a good condenser. Your response is much appreciated.

I compared to the J45 and it really stood its ground with the cutaway. very very very slight difference if any.. maybe on the volume side.

I compared it to many many guitars and it had the warm sound I was looking for. It sounds like an old guitar. I love it.

Sorry I do not know if the bracing is different. There may be some documentation. I will also look the the documentation that came with the guitar.

Thanks for the tip on the neck adjustment. I have a guy that does all my work.

I also prefer miking but sometimes clubs and venues opt for the directbox so I use the internal pickup.

thanks

s
reverbunit
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri May 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Years ago in Montana I had the opportunity to play a truckload of Gibson acoustics that came out of Bozeman. The j45's just had more poop and a warmer overall sound than other acoustics I've played. I especially dig the chunkier necks found on a lot of Gibsons. Do your 'thang on that guitar and play the crap out of it. Where in Dallas are you?
texas blues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat May 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I think it was John Hyatt who once said the Hummingbird was the greatest rock & roll acosutic ever built.

I have been hooked on Gibson acoustics since the 1960s when I stumbled on a 1930s L-00 which I had to take home with me. I still own a 1956 SJ and 1960 J-200. The old ones have a real dry crackling edge to them you just don't hear in other guitars.

Story on the Hummingbird is that Gibson pres. Ted McCarty dropped a Martin dread on chief engineer Larry Aller's desk and told him to make a Gibson version.

I came close to pulling the trigger on a 1968 Hummingbird that my favorite little music shop had in a few weeks ago. While I am not really a fan of mid-to late-1960s Gibson acosutics, this one was in amazing condition and played and sounded great. First song I played on it? What else - the Stones "Angie." It was just bad timing and I did not even the time to deal with it so the guitar ended up going to the Dallas show where it was bought by a well known vintage guitar store which is now offering it for $1400 more than I could have grabbed it for. Such is life.

Enjoy thye heck out of that guitar.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm

texas blues wrote:Years ago in Montana I had the opportunity to play a truckload of Gibson acoustics that came out of Bozeman. The j45's just had more poop and a warmer overall sound than other acoustics I've played.

The J-45 is the biggest banging cowboy guitar to ever grace the planet.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 am

Lo-Fi wrote:
texas blues wrote:Years ago in Montana I had the opportunity to play a truckload of Gibson acoustics that came out of Bozeman. The j45's just had more poop and a warmer overall sound than other acoustics I've played.

The J-45 is the biggest banging cowboy guitar to ever grace the planet.

Dadgum skippy! Gimme' a J45 and a '54 LP Goldtop and I'm done!
texas blues
Regular

Postby Mars » Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 pm

I bought my Hummingbird about a year ago and love it. I don't use it for slide work though, mostly I play fingerpicked blues on it. I was surprised how good it sounded through my amp. I didn't expect that acoustic pick-up to work that well. I picked mine up at Guitar center in Arlington, they had a Trade in Trade up plan that allowed me to get a good price on it.
Mars
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am

Mars wrote:I bought my Hummingbird about a year ago and love it. I don't use it for slide work though, mostly I play fingerpicked blues on it. I was surprised how good it sounded through my amp. I didn't expect that acoustic pick-up to work that well. I picked mine up at Guitar center in Arlington, they had a Trade in Trade up plan that allowed me to get a good price on it.

So what did you trade in for the 'Bird?
texas blues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 10, 2011 2:42 am

Only way I'd spend $3000 for an Gibson acoustic is if Emmy Lou Harris came with it
goldbrick
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue May 10, 2011 3:34 am

goldbrick wrote:Only way I'd spend $3000 for an Gibson acoustic is if Emmy Lou Harris came with it

J45 list is about $2200 at GC. Hummingbird slightly less or more depending on features. Depends on the person and what you want it for. For myself, I want to gig it and for what i'll use it for worth every penny. Decide what's right for you. Many good guitars for less money out there but I have a certain tone and feel I'm looking for and most of the Gibson's I've played have it. Gibson might not be better for everyone, just better for what I want.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Mars » Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm

[quote="texas blues]

So what did you trade in for the 'Bird?[/quote]

I traded in a Dobro Wooden Resonator guitar with the spider bridge, it seemed like it had a shorter scale and I never could really feel good playing it. It was probably just me though.
I guess my Hummingbird isn't the "Pro" model though, mine doesn't have the electronics on the top of the guitar. I have the Baggs mic and all the controls are tucked out of sight inside the sound hole. with the trade in and the 15% discount I played around $1500 or $1600, not the $3,000 someone mentioned. I also don't have the cut-away on mine. I play it everyday.
I had gone in hoping to find a small bodied guitar like the Martin 016-NY I had fallen in love with (it sold before I could make up my mind to buy it). Tried all the different guitars and left with this. No regrets for me.
I'd love to try one of those Gibson Blues Kings someday, although I'd end up having to sell something to buy one if I liked it...so I better not : )
Mars
Regular

Postby reverbunit » Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm

texas blues wrote:
goldbrick wrote:Only way I'd spend $3000 for an Gibson acoustic is if Emmy Lou Harris came with it

J45 list is about $2200 at GC. Hummingbird slightly less or more depending on features. Depends on the person and what you want it for. For myself, I want to gig it and for what i'll use it for worth every penny. Decide what's right for you. Many good guitars for less money out there but I have a certain tone and feel I'm looking for and most of the Gibson's I've played have it. Gibson might not be better for everyone, just better for what I want.

With the online discount i printed out this guitar was $1984 out the door. great deal.

I live in north dallas. This thing sounds awesome finger picking.

s
reverbunit
Regular

Return to Guitar