Republic guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Republic guitars

Postby socket wrench » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 am

I've been thinking a lot about getting a resonator and I heard that for the price the Republic guitars are quite good. I sing quite, make that very, loudly so it'd be nice to have something that can match my voice. Sometimes I play places where I don't really need to mic up my voice or put the guitar through an amp.

I was thinking of maybe the Highway 61 3/4 scale or maybe the Duolian.

If anyone has any thoughts about any of this I'd love to hear them....

I've played my uncles National whenever I go back to england and visit him, and at first I didn't like the sound of it, and I kind of kept away from the whole resonator guitar thing... but know I think that they've grown on me.

I'd have to buy the thing from the U.S., as I live in Finland, but this seems to be the cheapest way.

Cheers.
socket wrench
Regular

Re: Republic guitars

Postby Disciple » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:29 pm

I have no doubt that the Republic Tricone would hold up against your voice, mine overwhelms my instructors amped electric at the typical volumes he teaches at. He regularly comments on my volume.

I road tested the Hwy 61 (original small version) when looking and found it kind of subdued, not overly bright. I'd like to play one again to be sure my impression wasn't just a lack of appreciation for the kind of sound these guitars make and my own inability at that time to actually get quality sounds out of a resonator.

Based on my experience with a Republic Tricone and the feedback you'll see here these guitars are about as close as you get to Nationals, even in some cases better than vintage Nationals.

Best bet is to figure out a way to get a chance to play one, in Finland that may be tuff, but still the best way to sort it out.

Email Frank at Republic and ask him if he knows of an opportunity in Finland, if anybody knows where to find a Republic Guitar it would be him.

Worst case scenario gather feedback here and where ever these guitars are discussed and then seek out the sound clips and You Tube demos relating to your choices.

There are dozens of Republic demo vids on You Tube. I think the Republic site also hosts some sound clips or try Pickin Parlour they also promote Republic.
Disciple
Regular

Postby california1967 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

I have a spiderbridge model with f-holes and matte finish from Republic Guitars. She sounds great and looks amazing. I love the neck profile and the matte finish makes for a really fast neck. The only thing I do not like about this guitar is that its difficult to play the twelfth fret, which is a shame considering I use it a lot with slide (see pictures below). Mine was only about $430 w/ case and worth the money. I do plan on purchasing a Highway 61 (3/4 scale, swamp green) in the future, especially because it has the cutaway for easy access (although I haven't actually played one). I would definitely recommend a Republic resonator.

Here's a picture of the stock version, and if you would like me to post photos of mine I will.

california1967
Regular

Postby california1967 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Opps...accidental double post!
Last edited by california1967 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
california1967
Regular

Postby gaucho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm

I have a Republic Resolian and a Tricone and I give 'em 2 thumbs up! Since you are in Europe, check out Busker Guitars in the UK as well. Maybe shipping wouldn't be as expensive...

gaucho
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I have a Republic steel-bodied Duolian, & it's louder than my vintage National tricone - only thing with Republics, the setup can be a little short of perfect, but when they're sorted out, they're really good.
eldergreene
Regular

Postby gaucho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 pm

I think most of those problems have been sorted out. There was a big long post on Michael Messer's site (he does the Busker/MM Guitars which come from the same small factory as the Republics) about how quality control had slipped a bit due to some new management in the factory. But I believe they got that sorted. The best thing to do with any reso, even Nationals, is to play as many as you can. It's amazing the tone difference you often hear between two of the same models and it's great to be able to pick out the one that appeals to you the most. I know that's a hard thing to do though...
gaucho
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:38 pm

I have a Republic Tri Cone and I have to say it's a LOUD guitar.
Scott
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:42 am

I have a Republic Single Cone. It's louder than the Tricone.
It just plain barks.
Old Stella
Regular

Return to Guitar