1920's Parlor Guitar?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: 1920's Parlor Guitar?

Postby boxertwin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Hello guys, The Parlor arrived. The back & sides appear to be Birch, from what I've seen of this
wood in photos, and the soundboard appears to be Spruce.
The Volume is HUGE, and notes Sustain for ages,.. Will you get that from an Old Laminated Parlor?
Has good note separation, and the bass response is much better than I expected for it's size.
Single note runs ring out strong and clear and It has that nice Vintage Bluesy 30's tone,
though I am getting alittle String buzz from the 3rd & 5th string
due to the considerable bow in the neck, not sure if I can fix that issue, any suggestions ?
Overall, I'm pretty impressed with it, most of all with the power & volume being such a small Instrument.
Cheers Jeff.
boxertwin
Regular

Postby s1120 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Im assuming there is no truss rod in it?? Maybe a little lighter strings might help the bow, but they might hurt the sweet sound also..
s1120
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:10 am

Perhaps a friendly neighbourhood luthier can steam the neck into something approaching straightness?
stumblin
Regular

Postby boxertwin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:43 am

stumblin wrote:Perhaps a friendly neighbourhood luthier can steam the neck into something approaching straightness?

Are you for real??
boxertwin
Regular

Postby blueshome » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:54 pm

My very similar guitar came with the original brass bar frets and had a bit of a neck bow. My luthier corrected this enough to make it well playable by refretting with modern frets - this set the neck a little straighter and avoided a more expensive neck reset.

BTW it will be a solid wood guitar, they didn't do laminates on $2.50 guitars in the 10's and 20's - solid birch - solid spruce top, neck could be anything - pear, poplar, bass wood, even mahogany.
blueshome
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar