Really GASing for an ES-125tcd

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Really GASing for an ES-125tcd

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

Yeah, I just turned 22 a couple months ago. Fortunately I do have a job, but I'm not making a terribly large sum of loot. The apartment above the music store I work at just opened up, though, so I'm hoping to get in there. It'd cut down my commute to about 15 seconds and put me in walking distance to quite a few nice bars, almost all of which have live music. The one directly across the street would likely become my hangout.

Good luck to you, too, Lefty.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby reverbunit » Wed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm

my most wanted guitar as well... So expensive.
I bought this Airline off ebay and rebuilt it. It reminds me of a 125. it sounds great. made in america!

I love this guitar.
reverbunit
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Oh yeah, those old Harmony/Silvertone/Airline/et. al. guitars are awesome, too. There are quite a few I wouldn't mind owning. They have their own real funky sound to them.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:32 am

Okay, well, sorry it's been so long since I've been posting here, but as was mentioned, I had to find a new place to live. I've found that place now, conveniently located directly above the music store I work at. Still don't have internet, though, so I still won't be posting as much as I'd like to until I remedy that. I'll just have to settle for whenever I can catch some WIFI from the restaurant across the street.

Never ended up getting an ES-125, or finding a suitable archtop to cut up, but you may remember that I picked up this cheap Framus acoustic a while back:

Well, since it wasn't all that nice sounding as an acoustic, I decided to cut it up and turn it into my pseudo-ES-125. Cut the sides in half, added the cut-out, plugged the soundhole, refinished it in two-tone sunburst with Behlen violin varnish, and added the P90. I'm going to cut a proper pickguard for it soon, this one is just temporary.

It's doing the trick for now. Sounds like an ES-125, looks similar enough to an ES-125, but is still funky enough to make people ask, "What the hell is that thing?"

I'm hoping to get some stuff recorded with it soon. I'll post it if I do. I also have some pictures of the build process, but I need to find my card reader first.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:38 pm

living on top of the music store you're working at,with a bar across the street and the tenacity to convert an acoustic into a cut away electric sounds like the perfect life.kind of makes me wish i was 22 again.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:00 am

Yep, I can't complain. In addition to the bar across the street, I have a pseudo english pub two doors down, and American Legion a block down, a very nice bar/restaurant a block over, and a dive bar two doors down from that. All but two of those bars have live music a couple nights a week.

The music store is great, too. Nice little mom & pop place, been open for 32 years. I get to work on a lot of fun guitars with all the local musicians we have around here.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 am

You guitar reminds me of the Loar LH 309. Was that an influence?
It looks good in your pics, sound good?
Bill

Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16 pm

I actually hadn't seen that Loar, but that does look mighty nice. My main influence was just the old Gibson ES-125tcd, and then as I got further along with the project, it started taking on some Harmony/Kay influence.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:00 pm

now you've got me gassing too.i'm eying an old harmony broadway i have in the basement as a donor....

i watched a '66 es125tc(d) go for $823 on the bay yesterday.kinda weird that some of these desirable old gibbies go for under a grand and some harmony rockets go for over,just because jack white or chris isaak play one,haha.i mean a rocket is a fun guitar,but i'd take a gibson ES-whatever anyday.i have seen some 225's,with the less desirable wrap around trapeze and weird choce middle only go for REAL cheap.so you change some parts,big deal!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Django3 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm

where is everybody???????????
Django3
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:47 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:Oh yeah, those old Harmony/Silvertone/Airline/et. al. guitars are awesome, too. There are quite a few I wouldn't mind owning. They have their own real funky sound to them.

Speaking from experience, not all of them. It really depends on the electronics which range from downright nasty to the sublime. I am a big fan of the Kay Speed bump pickups but am not crazy about some of the others they used. Guitars like the Silvertone 1446 (known as the Chris Isaak midel) have Gibson pickups and are flippin' great. Trying to find one on the cheap these days though ain't as easy as it used to be.

Have you thought about just going for the ES-125 single pickup, non-cutaway. They got a great sound and can still be found at prices that will not empty your wallet. I just played one and had a blast. I already have an original hard shell case for one of those guitars laying around and keep thinking I do need to fill it.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar