Really GASing for an ES-125tcd

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Really GASing for an ES-125tcd

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Yep, bit by the bug...again. I've been listening to a lot of guitarists using the ES-125tcd, and I've decided I just have to have one. Thinline hollow body, dual P-90s...oh yeah.

But they're just so damned expensive (even the one I was watching on eBay that needed the neck reattached went for $800), so I think I'm going to go a slightly different route. Since there is almost always a decent stock of beat up, dilapidated Harmony/Kay archtops on eBay, I think I'm going to buy a fairly trashed one and convert it. I'm always looking for new projects, and this one should be fairly straight-forward, plus it'll give me a nice opportunity to gaze into the inner workings of the archtop since I'm hoping to build one in the near future.

And this will give me an opportunity to try out that nice, new pickup winder my dad bought.

I'll keep you posted when I track down a suitable victim...er, uh, well, yeah victim.

And an example of why I want one so much:
guitarslim101
Regular

Re: Really GASing for an ES-125tcd

Postby Disciple » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 pm

I can understand why this guitar got your attention. There is a guy who turns out at a local jam night has Gibson ES125. Rumour is he picked it up used for an even $1000.00 while the appraised value is somewhat more than that.

Eye catching, the minute I saw this guitar I decided it was one of the coolest guitars I'd ever seen. The sound was no less amazing, just plain perfect. Raw but refined, it just said everything soulful and raunchy you can dream of is hidden in here somewhere.

Good luck I'll be paying attention for your story on this, eventually I'm after a similar guitar.
Last edited by Disciple on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Check out the Washburn HB15C. It has a floating hb, but I'm sure you could do what you wish to it and add those P90s! I have the non-cutaway version (HB15) and I think it's a great git.

Stackabones
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

the funny thing is es125's used to be cheap.they were amongst the cheapest gibbies out there.i once turned one down for $300.

you can sometimes find guitars in that range for cheap,the trick is to keep your search broad.keep an eye out for 120,125,225,135,137,330,335's etc.,guild starfires,gretsch clippers ,and the like.

i recently saw a 225 with the single pickup in good shape go for under a grand.you could always add a pickup!(if the donor guitar is in bad enough shape to monkey with it)

all that said,you could probably nail that sound with a bolt neck harmony rocket.or a dean palomino.or a gretsch,just sayin.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm

I played a 120-t for years. Similar guitar - no cutaway. Cool for days!
Image this guitar to a tee. Sounded great over any amp.
Last edited by allanlummox on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

allanlummox wrote:I played a 120-t for years. Similar guitar - no cutaway. Cool for days!
Image this guitar to a tee. Sounded great over any amp.

that was an absolutely fantastic guitar.i played that thing for hours at your old apartment,i just couldn't put it down!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Yea, I'd love to get something like that again. Traded it to Chode - who runs Bluebond now - for a 60's Mel-Mak I sold in England. It had that crack in the neck that Gibsons get.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Only SHE, will ever be the woman for me.
I know the feelin', I NEED an Epiphone ES-175 reissue. I've been considerin' the Ibanez AF75 and AG75, both nice guitars but just not the ES-175.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Hey Slim, check out this recent thread: http://bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11834

I think a Godin Kingpin would be worth checking out.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Those Godins and the Washburn are definitely tempting, but I feel like going the semi-DIY approach on this one. It'll let me tweak all the little details that I'm so finicky about (fret size, neck profile, finish, etc).

Plus I should be able to pick up a suitable donor archtop for less than $100, and being a poor college student, less than $100 is awesome. Of course, people do tend to try to get ridiculous shipping costs on beat up archtops, so we'll see.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Stackabones wrote:Check out the Washburn HB15C. It has a floating hb, but I'm sure you could do what you wish to it and add those P90s! I have the non-cutaway version (HB15) and I think it's a great git.

How funny! I was thinking of posting a similar reply. I, too, have the non-cutaway version of this guitar. I think it's a great instrument--especially for the price--even without modification.

I might also note that a large part of that vid's wonderfulness is Mr. Ribot's chops. You can't buy THAT for $1000 on EBay!
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:23 pm

That's true, Marc Ribot is one hell of a player. But there is something special about hollowbody guitars with P90s.

And my style is growing increasingly similar to Ribot's lately, so who knows what might happen.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:29 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:Those Godins and the Washburn are definitely tempting, but I feel like going the semi-DIY approach on this one. It'll let me tweak all the little details that I'm so finicky about (fret size, neck profile, finish, etc).

Plus I should be able to pick up a suitable donor archtop for less than $100, and being a poor college student, less than $100 is awesome. Of course, people do tend to try to get ridiculous shipping costs on beat up archtops, so we'll see.
Well,
I'd rather see and hear your modified guitar than something off the shelf. Post your progress!
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Well, I may have to put this project on hold for a little while. I was informed by my parents that they want me out of the house by August 1st, so money may be a bit tight for me for a few months...unless I just happen to spot a nice looking archtop for not much money.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu May 05, 2011 4:54 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:Well, I may have to put this project on hold for a little while. I was informed by my parents that they want me out of the house by August 1st, so money may be a bit tight for me for a few months...unless I just happen to spot a nice looking archtop for not much money.

I feel ya! I'm 21 and got the boot recently too! Parents want me out sometime this summer. Then sure as shit, once they told me, I lost my job! And my age bracket has a something like a 17% unemployment rate here, so I'm doomed! Best of luck to you... we need it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar