Tribotone Bottleneck--review

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Tribotone Bottleneck--review

Postby Neal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Eric sent me a pinky slide a few weeks ago. Been into some uke stuff lately, so that took a back seat, but I tried it out seriously today with an Estralita and the M-1 12 string, so here it is.....

It ain't cheap, I'll tell you that up front if you haven't guessed. 55 bucks, so think about that. However... this is a great slide. I have difficulty on barre sounding rattly on this, even not damping. It's very clean, and I consider it money well spent. Yes, damping behind is still advisable if you are into a clean sound, but even not damping (experimenting) still doesn't produce the rattly sound of the rest.

If you need that rattle-shake sound that a lot of the old blues guys had, this one ain't for you. If you want a clean sound, and you know how to damp (it helps), this is a great slide.

Having said all that, it's not perfect in the sense of all your rattle will go away, it's just easier to contain that rattle and produce it when you want. The Tribotone and the Diamond Ultimate are the go-to slides as of now. The brass, Redhouse, and Blue Diamond take a back seat, but definitely still very useable.

As I said earlier, it isn't cheap, 55 bucks for a pinky slide is considerable money, but it's really a different experience, and very, very clean. Think Kottke.

http://www.tribotone.com/news.html

Neal
Regular

Re: Tribotone Bottleneck--review

Postby Neal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 pm

No takers on this? I'm surprised. It's been a few weeks.
Neal
Regular

Postby Freeman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Neal wrote:No takers on this? I'm surprised. It's been a few weeks.

Neal, as you know, I've already bought one and ordered another custom one. And when they make a Stevens'Shubb style I'll be the first in line.
Freeman
Regular

Postby Neal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm

No big thing, I was wondering if anyone else around these parts has ordered one too.
Neal
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Update: The new heftier Tribotone bottlenecks. Nice weight, a bit meatier, and a little more bulk on the finger, about the size of the Paloma Stoneware slide. It's still a tad lighter than a heavy brass, but noticeably heavier than the original. For those liking a heavier slide, this is very, very promising. As to the sound, read above, and this one, to my ears, imparts no difference in sound. From the lighter one, to the heavier one, still a nice fat sound. So this one would be good only for those that want the added weight.

Still amazed at the material it's made from, the surface coating. Veeerrrrrry clean sound, and the smoothest surface I think you can find. We don't have the flying cars yet, but we have the picture phone and now this....
Neal
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:46 pm

I never tried one but somebody did give me a set of Will Ray Stealth slides. While I don't use one on my right hand as intended I do use one as a ring slide. Great for electric but not so great for acoustic - too light. The old Dunlop slide rings had the same problem. But $55 is alot of scratch.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:I never tried one but somebody did give me a set of Will Ray Stealth slides. While I don't use one on my right hand as intended I do use one as a ring slide. Great for electric but not so great for acoustic - too light. The old Dunlop slide rings had the same problem. But $55 is alot of scratch.

That stealth slide is a bit small for anything but single note playing eh? I've still got an old "Lenny Blu-Slide" from.. '70s? '80s? (hard-to-find-pic below). it has some heft, but I don't use it at all any more.

Yep, I agree with the price thing. It's expensive. I have a Diamond that cost me 42 and a brass that cost me about 4 bucks in the '80s. That brass one is my benchmark slide. The compelling difference, I think, to the Tribotone vs the Brass is the surface, it's the smoothest, slipperiest I've felt on a slide. Just a different "feel". I'd suggest working on technique if one wants to get rid of the "noise" from not damping, but if that doesn't work, these are just another option if you have some disposable income. I read about these "Red Bear" picks at 30 bucks a pop. A pick? Makes ya think- "Really?! A pick?!" But some swear by 'em.

So, let's see, 3 Diamond... 2 Tribotone...2 Paloma... I'm just a fan of all these slides (and spent some disposable income to boot!). SAS? And I still love my old 4 dollar brass, especially when I polish it up with some Noxon7 ..
Neal
Regular

Return to Guitar