My latest build

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: My latest build

Postby Neal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 am

what. is. that.
Neal
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:37 am

What ever that is...in G tuning....with baritone G tuning or the continuation of notes in G tuning.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 am

Got this beast kinda-sorta strung up today (need a few string trees to keep some strings in place). As some of you figured out, this is a bass/baritone double lap steel. 30" scale.

I'm not sure why I haven't seen this tried before. The bass is usable, plenty of sustain. The baritone side seems to work great.

zhyla
Site Admin

Postby tinsmith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 am

Too cool.....
tinsmith
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 am

That's Great! I hope you let us hear it in action when you get it done!

I'm really curious about two things--how is it tuned? And why the separation between the string sets?--I'm just thinking that it might be nice to be able to
pop a bass string in now and again with the thumb--while working the high set with the fingers. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Thats VERY cool!!! Im planning a lapsteel myself. Mine will just be normal 6 string though. :D
s1120
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Wow! Thrasher Steel!
You could make a really cool case for it too. Just add wheels and THRASH to your gigs! :mrgreen:
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:37 pm

OldWailer wrote:how is it tuned?

Haven't figured that out yet. For the bass an open E might work well. I'd like to drop the 'E' string down to D but the more tension the better there.

OldWailer wrote:And why the separation between the string sets?

There needs to be some distance just for the pickups, though I may have the pickups staggered anyways. We weren't real sure about whether having some room between "necks" was good or not. My original plan had the control pots in the middle, that probably had some influence as well.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby tinsmith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:41 pm

You could use it in theory like a harp guitar......maybe
tinsmith
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 am

More questions popped into my head, Zhyla--with a 30" scale, does the string tension to reach a given note increase or decrease? Seems like it would increase, which would be a good thing for lap style--to a point.

Also--is it hard to get strings for that long of a scale?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just getting ready to build another one, and a 30" scale is very interesting to me since hearing Bob Brozman play on a baritone tricone. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 am

OldWailer wrote:More questions popped into my head, Zhyla--with a 30" scale, does the string tension to reach a given note increase or decrease? Seems like it would increase, which would be a good thing for lap style--to a point.

Also--is it hard to get strings for that long of a scale?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just getting ready to build another one, and a 30" scale is very interesting to me since hearing Bob Brozman play on a baritone tricone. . .

Quick answers since I'm due in bed...

30" scale is short for a bass, a little long for a baritone. So the baritone benefits but the bass could be tighter. May tune it to F or G because of this.

Stock baritone strings, D'Addario EXL160M's - for 32" scale. I got the short scale and they were too short :(. I can get you exact string gauge for the baritone. I think a 28" scale would work a little better there.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby OldWailer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

30" scale is short for a bass, a little long for a baritone. So the baritone benefits but the bass could be tighter. May tune it to F or G because of this.

Stock baritone strings, D'Addario EXL160M's - for 32" scale. I got the short scale and they were too short :(. I can get you exact string gauge for the baritone. I think a 28" scale would work a little better there.

I think I'll stick with your advice and go for a 28" scale baritone. I would like to know the gauge of the strings, if you get a chance to post them. Thank you for the information.

I'm working on a design for an acoustic lap steel--might set some records for ugly--but if I can make it sound good, I can live with it. . .l
OldWailer
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm

The Baritone strings I sourced are D'Addario XL157 (.068-.014). I haven't fully tuned that side up yet (waiting for string trees) so I don't know what scale length they are designed for (the website says for Danelectro long scales... ?). If you can find the right strings you could do a baritone much shorter (26"?) which may help if you do a lot of slants.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Love it! Been wishing for a lap guitar with low strings - better for solo accompaniment!

I'd probably use a variation on the c6 tuning on that bad boy.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby OldWailer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am

If you can find the right strings you could do a baritone much shorter (26"?) which may help if you do a lot of slants.

The one I just finished is a 26" scale. Now I'm a bit confused--is it length of scale that determines being a baritone, or the tuning? Or maybe both?
Interesting--I thought the Brozman baritone tricone was a lot longer than a normal one--I never considered that it might just be different strings.

Maybe the one I just built is actually a baritone and I just gotta get different strings and tune it lower?
OldWailer
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar