Small Body Flat Top Acoustic Recomendations

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Small Body Flat Top Acoustic Recomendations

Postby Disciple » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:29 pm

That appears to be in near perfect condition. Good deal!!! I like the extra couple markers on the fretboard, most seem to have only the 5th, 7th and 9th markers.

I understand if you'd rather not say but how much??

I think I paid more than most at $230.00 but I also have what amounts to an un-used guitar that is unique for this time being 40 to 50 years old.

It has that sound, which I'm sure can be bought new but probably not for any less money.

I'm happy with it.
Disciple
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:19 pm

It has some marks on the back from an old strap that had vinyl, but apart from that it doesn't look to have been played. The case is in good nick and usable, a rarity. $123 plus $100 to ship here, not too bad. Yeah it sure has that birch sound, loving it.
k1w1
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Nice price, frankly I think you got a great deal compared to mine, your guitar looks to be in near un-used condition also.

I didn't pay near the shipping cost you did I guess it balances in the end.

Where did you find the date. I cannot find it on this one. There is a model number obscured by the neck mount and a stamp 8 at the sound hole. But no obvious date stamp.
Disciple
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 am

Lucked on the date stamp, smack bang in the middle of the sound hole, 1968. I have had Harmonys where the stamp was on the top, used a mechanics mirror for that one, but sometimes the ink fades. If the numbers have faded, you can sometimes tell by the style of stamp, I have a book on cowboy stencil guitars that has all the stamps Harmony used through the years illustrated. PM me if you would like me to send a copy of the page.

It has no marks on the fingerboard and only half a dozen pick guard marks, so I am picking bought to learn, didn't work out, so under a bed, it came with a period strap and Mel Bay Guitar Chords book.

ETA: You say an 8 stamped at the sound hole? Take a photo of that area and in photoshop or picassa or whatever, manipulate the contrast and colours, I've discovered some dates that way. They were primary colours so manipulating the spectrum can sometimes work.
k1w1
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar