Small Body Flat Top Acoustic Recomendations

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Small Body Flat Top Acoustic Recomendations

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 am

I believe 000 size typically refers to parlors. That Epi is more like a 00 or OM.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby blueshome » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

OOO and OM are same body size, OO is smaller, O smaller still, and a true parlour smaller than that. It seems that any guitar with a small/medium body and a slotted headstock is called a parlour these days.
blueshome
Regular

Postby Disciple » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:06 am

So I've been watching ebay for a bit and inquiring with sellers of mainly Stellas. I'm starting to think it's a hopeless cause. I have sent shipping inquiries to no less than five sellers, not a one responds. The few sellers with guitars that suited me either didn't ship to Canada or used services that would cost $150.00 to get a $60.00 guitar to me. I'm sure it's a great route for you guys in the Heartland but apparently not for us True Northerners.

Oh ya and then there is the guy who thinks his Harmony Stella is worth $925.00, maybe Mr Johnson himself once owned that one.

I don't have a lot of patience for that sort of silliness. I'm starting to think Epiphone EL00, at least it would be hassle free and reliably sound. Won't solve my desire to mess around with tweaking one back to health but I'll probably loose interest in that as soon as my carpentry work gets back up to steam after the winter slow down.
Disciple
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:10 pm

You might try broadening your search to include 60's Sears acoustics.I learned on one that looked exactly like the pictures of the Stellas sown in this thread.It was probably made by Harmony.I had it for30 years or so and it started coming unglued so I threw it away when I moved .I wish i had kept it.
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:59 pm

As long as y'all brought up the subject, does anyone know anything about Gremlin guitars? I found what appears to be a parlor model from these folks--British company, I guess. I once had a Gremlin car and learned my lesson there. Maybe I should learn from that :) ?

Anybody know this brand? Thanks.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby Disciple » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:45 pm

It's not so much the limitations of looking for a Stella type but rather the limitations of ebay sellers who don't really seem to be to interested in making a sale across the border. Either reflected by their apathy or ridiculous shipping costs for anything outside the lower 48.

I got a line on some really nice refurbished stuff from a guy who knows his parlor guitars, takes them seriously but not so much that his prices are unbearable. He's got a bunch of 300 or less set ups that are well worth the shipping costs.(which are also reasonable)
Disciple
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Keep on searching. I once saw a Stella parlor with great action and no cracks sell for $23 on ebay. I was pretty pissed off that I didn't buy it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby gaucho » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Contact this guy:

http://vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html

He's really nice and has some great guitars and good prices (on shipping too).
gaucho
Regular

Postby Disciple » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am

Thanks Gaucho, that is who I was referring to in my previous post. He was quick to respond, has a great selection of stuff and appears to know what he's doing in terms of refurbishing.

I'll let you know if I decide to grab one of his guitars.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Disciple » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Looks like I got myself a late 50's or early 60's Stella by Harmony. It's on route so we'll have to wait and see what it turns out to be.

Seller says it appears that it was never seriously played, no scratches on the pick guard and only "closet rash" whatever that is. I guess he means from being shoved around the same closet wall for 40 years.

It's birch, sunburst finish with a straight (never reset) neck and 1/8 inch action height at the 12th.

Probably over paid but until I see it can't say for sure. If it holds up to the description it's worth it.
Last edited by Disciple on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Congrats! Let us see it when you get it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 pm

i can't wait to see this guitar!!!!!!!!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 am

My Stella turned up this week, nice, exactly as the seller described. No serious flaws, almost no flaws, just some minor scratches and a few chips in the white paint around the edge on the top. One bent tuner peg and a bit of oxidization on the metal parts. All character for a guitar that is close to 50 years old.

Any of you experts able to tell me anything based on a serial #875H 729, hard to read as it is partially obstructed by the neck brace.

The nut was offset about a 1/16" so I popped it out and reset it on center and shimmed it up a little as the action was to low. there was some buzz on the D & G strings at the first fret. All clean after the adjustment and plays real easy, not as slick as my Strat but way more agreeable than the Tricone.

Subtle growl and restrained whine is how I'd describe the sound, not bright and punchy but definitely bluesy in an understated way. It can get loud but I don't think anyone would want to play that hard. Maybe down the road when my skills are tighter I'll push it that way but it just sounds messy when I pound it the way I can the Tricone. Of course I strung it with much lighter strings than the Tricone.

Anyway I think I got my moneys worth and for the near term it will keep me entertained.
Attachments
IMGP0795.JPG
Disciple
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:46 am

Nice, I have the exact same model in the air to NZ at the moment. The serial number doesn't relate to year, seems to be a parts number and model number, keeping the right parts together on the production line. That should be an H929 in that finish. If you look carefully there should be another stamp that will have FXX or SXX the Xs being numbers for year. The F is supposedly fall and S spring, or first and second shift, no one knows for sure. The style of the stamp varied over the years, and it may be up on the top, a mechanics mirror is handy for finding them.

ETA: Francois' site is the best http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H929/239.htm
k1w1
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:24 am

And mine arrived last week, little bit of damage from vinyl on a strap the was stored with it on the back, but seriously, hardly played, very little wear. Needed to move the nut like yours, and the tailpiece was off centre and I moved that, but now, just a fun blues guitar, that birch sound sure suits slide, ton of fun. H929 1968.

k1w1
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar