Spider bridged steel body guitar options?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Spider bridged steel body guitar options?

Postby k1w1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 am

Yeah mate, I got my first one on a hope and a whim in 2001 praying it would be OK, Regal RC2, and have had many more since (8 I think, rebuilding/upgrading most of them except the Amistar, stunning quality). The last one surprisingly is unmodded but will get better tuners, Republic tri, not bad actually. And snap, got all my info off boards, but back then, really slim info.

ETA: I gotta get another moniker, too close to a couple on here.
k1w1
Regular

Postby tommott77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

zhyla wrote:
tommott77 wrote:Some of the responses, along with my discovery of Tampa Red last night after writing this post, has brought me full circle back to wanting a tricone first and foremost. What Tampa was able to do with one string on his tricone is exactly what I felt was missing with my Highway 61.

This is just my opinion, but I think if you listen to your favorite musician playing a guitar it's natural to make the mistake of thinking "I want to sound like that, I should buy that guitar". However, the problem is a good musician will make any guitar sound fantastic. You're better off playing guitars locally until you figure out what kind sounds good when you play it, then order something similar online.

Not trying to sound like anybody. Don't even have a 'favorite' delta blues man. I would like to think that my approach is somewhat unique bringing together elements of delta blues and mix in some of the stuff I have learned from playing electric for the last twenty something years of the thirty something years of my existence. Just want something that will let the lead lines cut through the mix of the base side a bit better and sing truer/longer. Think lead lines reminiscent of some of the more bluesier sounding country lap steel players, just less twang and more bang. I was iompressed after hearing Tampa for the first time and how he was able to get the lead lines out in front of the bass lines.

In my town there might be two resonator guitars total in the two music shops, and all of them are going to be cheap china stuff and likely one of them is going to be set up for lap style. This is the problem that I am having. No national stores in site. I played a spider brigde wood body at shop once with my first foray into slide about 7/8 years ago and liked it a lot compared to the biscuit bridged piece I had back then. I have never played a tricone.
Last edited by tommott77 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommott77
Regular

Postby Disciple » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm up near Algonquin Park in Northern / Central Ontario couple hundred klicks from Toronto. We have a shop in my little town, he struggles to stock anything we want but he tries.

Hours drive away is a shop that stocks a fair selection of typical stuff, never looked for a reso there.

In another direction about one hour away are a couple shops that are pretty typical with a handful of resonators between them, one of those shops has an in house slide / finger style player who knows his stuff.

In a town called Bethany a little further away is a boutique reputed to do business with Neil Young and Gord Downie and a few other Canadian celebrities. They stock exotic stuff Like TV Jones and Framus but the prices...........wow!

So for me it's Toronto where there is just one shop that I'm aware of stocking enough Resonators that you can get a sense of the differences. They are worth the drive and the extra few bucks in my opinion. Two plus hours drive one way, so I just make a trip out of it, see a musician, dinner out etc. I look forward to an excuse to get into this shop. Even if many of the guys working there come off as kinda snooty guitar snobs.

We've got a couple franchises (big names in Canadian music shops) their staff is way more snooty but the difference is the other shop actually knows what they're dealing in and talking about, not so much in the franchise shops, mainly staffed by posers.

I like online for finding my choices and researching the options but when it comes to the end purchase unless it's strings or similar standardized accessories I want to hold it, play it and ask questions of somebody who has pertinent thoughtful answers before I drop a pay check.

I'd buy an amp online but probably never a guitar unless it was a project guitar that I expect to spend more on to put right.

Resonators definitely are tough to buy from the point of view of checking out options in real life.
Disciple
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar