Building a Telecaster

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Building a Telecaster

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:26 am

zhyla wrote:Where do you find tru-oil?

I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 am

zhyla wrote:Very cool. You don't usually see teles with a brown body but I think it's going to look great.

I'm quite excited. I kind of wish someone made blued steel hardware.

Where do you find tru-oil? I've heard much about it and wanted to try it on a gun stock I'm making and for refinishing some tool handles.

This stuff came from a gun store (there are a few in Canada).

So much fun, I will soon have more instruments than I can keep track of.

This is guitar number eleven for me.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby k1w1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 am

zhyla wrote:Very cool. You don't usually see teles with a brown body but I think it's going to look great.

Where do you find tru-oil? I've heard much about it and wanted to try it on a gun stock I'm making and for refinishing some tool handles.

I made some dust on another guitar project this weekend. So much fun, I will soon have more instruments than I can keep track of.

Zhyla gun and hunting shops have it here, this tele I put together a couple of years back (if you remember the one I put the goldfoil in) I finished the neck in Tru Oil, and it is a great feel and wear resistant. I originally used shellac, but that kept wearing off.

k1w1
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Tru Oil is a manufactured by Birchwood Casey. There is also a a gun stock wax that can be applied to top it off. Incidently, the wax is also an excellent rust preventative for metal as well. If I can get a pic to upload, it's a git where I did the body with tru oil. If you are using tru oil, once you've opened it, thereafter store it upside down or it will develop a film overthe remaining contents.
Git1.JPG
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Disciple » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Totally cool look, I like the non traditional finish.

I did a Strat a couple years ago, my first guitar built, owned and played. In other words I'm pretty new to guitar. Anyway I used a wax only finish, it looks very similar; all natural, easy and also good for the wood. Not that lacquer isn't nice but it really has no benefit to offer the wood like oils and waxes do.

Seems like a logical way to go and requires little in the way of specialized equipment.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Disciple wrote:Totally cool look, I like the non traditional finish.

I did a Strat a couple years ago, my first guitar built, owned and played. In other words I'm pretty new to guitar. Anyway I used a wax only finish, it looks very similar; all natural, easy and also good for the wood. Not that lacquer isn't nice but it really has no benefit to offer the wood like oils and waxes do.

Seems like a logical way to go and requires little in the way of specialized equipment.

Working with Tru Oil is simple, but requires some effort and patience. In my opinion, it is best rubbed in by hand, then allowed to dry. The drying time is variable, dependent on humidity, etc. After the coat dries, you give it a light rub down with 2 O steel wool and repeat the process until you are satisfied with the results. In the case of the guitar I showed in my previous post, I put 20 plus coats of Tru oil on it, followed by 10 coats of Birchwood's Gun Stock Was. The dark areas seen are the remanants of cannister shot from the Battle of New Orleans in 1814. That wood is extremely old.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:46 pm

i am looking forward to the finished guitar!she is a beauty.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Disciple » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I gotta hand it to you the Oil method sounds like it might be more complex than Lacquer. Still I think a much better approach in terms of wood stability and future repair if ever required.

In my case the wax finish was quite simple. Sand like hell as with any guitar body and then a light stain to get the even colour I was after followed by a few coats of wax buffed intensely with a high speed buffing wheel. I'm stuck on dial up here so uploading a picture is a bit of an adventure in patience but to describe it simply the finish is as smooth and buff as any lacquered look that is not pristine brand new, in other words kind of a vintage look right away.

I took it into the 12th Fret in Toronto for a bridge adjustment and the luthier there first assumed it was actually an old 70's Strat, it's obviously not when you look close but the point is few guys see more guitars than a luthier in that shop and on first appearance he just took it for the genuine article. He seemed kind of surprised that the finish was waxed, he wasn't at all surprised that it was a replica, there are many clues.

Very interesting stuff.

I kind of think oiled or waxed wood (non synthetic treatments) as opposed to "sealing" synthetics like lacquer make for a more stable piece of wood. Rather than trying to lock a bit of wood into a suspended state these type of finishes allow ordinary environmental changes to come and go with less overall effect on the stability of the wood. Thats my woodworker brain talking, as a guitar person I still really love the look of Cherry red Gibson's or Sunburst Strats.
Disciple
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Disciple wrote:I gotta hand it to you the Oil method sounds like it might be more complex than Lacquer. Still I think a much better approach in terms of wood stability and future repair if ever required.

I don't believe it's a 'hot finish' - subesquent layers don't melt into the previous, so it's not as easy to repair as nitro (which is easy).

I'm using it because I have nowhere to spray.

I kind of think oiled or waxed wood (non synthetic treatments) as opposed to "sealing" synthetics like lacquer make for a more stable piece of wood.

Perhaps, but Tru-Oil is more like a varnish than an oil— it produces a finish that's almost as hard as lacquer. It's a polymerized linseed oil, with a drying agent to put the curing time in days, not months.

Today was a Learning Experience™. Need to burnish the hell out of the the wet-sanding produced slurry. While bare fingers might be OK, I'm wearing neoprene gloves, and they don't work at all. Saved by linen.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby zhyla » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 am

Hmmm... how long between coats on this Tru-Oil business? At 10-20 coats it matters more than usual. The gun shops here are pretty lame, I don't think I've ever seen any finishing supplies at any of them.

I've used (pure, unpolymerized) tung oil on a few projects. The drying time for that is a few days but because it does melt itself you don't need to sand between coats or wait until fully dry to re-coat.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby old mojo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 am

Formby's markets a polymerized tung oil finish that I have used extensively on cedar drums and flutes.

http://www.formbys.com/products/tung_oil.cfm

Wear gloves. It works well, but leaves a really nasty sticky film on hands.
old mojo
Regular

Postby s1120 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:00 pm

old mojo wrote:Formby's markets a polymerized tung oil finish that I have used extensively on cedar drums and flutes.

http://www.formbys.com/products/tung_oil.cfm

Wear gloves. It works well, but leaves a really nasty sticky film on hands.

Ive used that before on woodwork and love working with it!!! Never thought about using it on a guitar though. Ive thought of a guitar project for sometime, just might try that.
s1120
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 pm

zhyla wrote:Hmmm... how long between coats on this Tru-Oil business? At 10-20 coats it matters more than usual.

The coats are so thin it only takes a few hours to dry "enough", so I've read of people doing three coats a day: before and after work, and before bed. The final coat should be left 1-2 weeks to cure.

Wally's World purportedly stocks it in the US and in rural Canada. You may be able to buy direct from Birchwood-Casey in the US.

s1120 wrote:
old mojo wrote:Formby's markets a polymerized tung oil finish that I have used extensively on cedar drums and flutes.

Ive used that before on woodwork and love working with it!!! Never thought about using it on a guitar though.

People on The Gear Page and Telecaster forum have used Formby's, so you may wish to use Google to have a butcher's.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Hey k1w1, what kind of pickup is that in the neck position of the Tele you posted?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Hey k1w1, what kind of pickup is that in the neck position of the Tele you posted?

DeArmond Goldfoil or similar (have one on my tricone).
rustyslide
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar