Hope I don't mess this up...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Hope I don't mess this up...

Postby rustyslide » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Sounds good!

No idea about the neck stick/reset question - looks like the inside of a reso to me.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricbleu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 am

That new cone sounds so much more dynamic - fresh and with lots more complexity. When I was listening to the old cone, I thought that it sounded ok, but when compared directly as you've done - that's when the new one's superiority sang out. Well done. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:16 am

Much, much more bass with the new cone.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Funnily the Hot Rod cone was far easier to record, being much less critical to mic placement.

When I did the 'tap test' the original (the one that was in the guitar) cone sounded close to D# but there was a cymbal shimmer to it and the closest I could get on guitar was to play the octave D# above and below middle C in unison, though the cone had a thinner sound than this. The hot Rod was very definitely just above B an octave below middle C.
The Breeze
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

The look of that neck stick to me looks as if it has already been reset in the past. If I am not wrong a reset would raise the other end of the neck stick and as you can see in the photo it is so high there that they have had to file down the end of the stick so it would fit under the cone well.
If the neck is really bowed and you want to play finger style a new neck would be in order.
For pure slide it doesn't really matter.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I really like the sound of that Ventilator Blues. I've never heard it before.
What tuning are you in and are there any Tabs out there for it?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 am

kiwiblues wrote:The look of that neck stick to me looks as if it has already been reset in the past.

I think you're right, neck joint is far too tight for an 80 year old guitar.

kiwiblues wrote:If the neck is really bowed and you want to play finger style a new neck would be in order.
For pure slide it doesn't really matter.

The neck looks bowed and twisted, but; if you sight down the neck the headstock lines up with the body (!!?? where's the twist gone?) and the action is good across the entire fretboard. It looks bad but for playability it is spot on. Besides if I had it straightened it would lower the action, which means raising the bridge and increasing the break angle. That might kill the tone which I think is pretty much as good as it can get with this new cone. It would be nice to compare it to another Duo.

kiwiblues wrote:I really like the sound of that Ventilator Blues. I've never heard it before.
What tuning are you in and are there any Tabs out there for it?

Ventilator Blues - Rolling Stones from Exile on Main Street. It will be on You Tube somewhere, tab will be widely available. Excellent number for slidin' in open G. It is not the demo riff though, that is just something fell into while soddin' around. The machine was on so I recorded it and ended up using it as the demo.
The Breeze
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar