my lap steel build

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: my lap steel build

Postby OldWailer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Great Job! It looks just wonderful--makes me want to build one and learn to play it. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:13 am

Finally got around to recording something. Haven't had much time to play lately. I'm still getting the hang of lap style and for no good reason I tense up when the recording is going. So this is really rough, but the point is to show what it sounds like.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9982772
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby OldWailer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 am

That sound is wonderful. You have been very inspiring to me with this build. In fact, I bought some wood today (White Oak) and I have my plans all drawn up. I'll be building one over the next few weeks, as time allows. My plan is much simpler and less elegant than yours, probably no inlay and no real frets--but I'm hoping it will get a good sound.

I'll post a few pictures of my build in a new thread when I have some. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm

sounds good and funky to me.what kind of amp are you going through?

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:36 pm

OldWailer wrote:My plan is much simpler and less elegant than yours, probably no inlay and no real frets--but I'm hoping it will get a good sound.

I'll post a few pictures of my build in a new thread when I have some. . .

Awesome, I'm glad this inspired someone else to build one. EVERYONE should build an instrument at some point, and lap steels are accessible to amateurs like me. Warning: I've now got two instruments in progress and am completely addicted.

The dot inlays are very easy to do, all you need is a drill (preferably a drill press) and a forstner bit. You just glue em in the hole and sand flush.

bottleneck wrote:sounds good and funky to me.what kind of amp are you going through?

With a kid asleep in the next room I usually have to cheat... this was a direct in recording with a Pod Farm Bassman clone I think. I forget exactly.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby OldWailer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:13 am

You know, my amp is in storage right now, and I don't remember the brand--I do know that it's a cheap electronic thing that does the job I need it to do, but it ain't a great thing.

I play mostly acoustic. The lap steel I'm building is made from a prototype called a "Biscuit Box Lap Guitar." I got the plans for it online at

http://www.lulu.com/product/file-downlo ... ar/2326986

The plans are free--you have to use your imagination a lot to interpret them and I had to do a lot of conversions from metric to inches. Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll get enough acoustic sound out of an old Jack Daniels tin I'll be using for this thing--if the sound is anything like the whiskey, I'll be a happy man. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 pm

well i am very impressed!that did not sound like a direct in/modeled amp to me .i guess technology is gaining on even us slide guys,haha.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar