Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:56 am

I once tried polishing a cut bottleneck with a gas torch flame, as we did with Pyrex tubing in the chemistry labs. Bad mistake! It crackled and spalled off zillions of small bits of supersonic, red hot glass!
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 am

A Dremel Tool with a diamond bit does the trick as far as cutting bottlenecks goes.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 am

Ouch!! Is that why you always where the safety glasses and the flame proof leather hat? :roll: :lol:
ricochet wrote:I once tried polishing a cut bottleneck with a gas torch flame, as we did with Pyrex tubing in the chemistry labs. Bad mistake! It crackled and spalled off zillions of small bits of supersonic, red hot glass!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Dan's got it one - A Dremel tool with the diamond cutting wheel, then shaping with the 'stone' kit accessory will provide a nice, workable bottleneck.....then it's down to watching a good D.V.D. with various grades of Emory cloth & the obligatory gallons of water ~ and don't forget to quaff the contents of the chosen container after completing the job :lol:

...of if you have access to one of these: http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp?n=28 :wink:

Congrats to Jay for offering us sliders another 'arrow for our bows' ~ as there are so many different slides now available, has anyone thought of producing a 'bullet belt' like the Cowboy's wore - instead of placing bullets in the loops, just make 'em to fit slides 8)

Slide On!

Ian.

P.S. for those following the World Cup ~ the U.S. team have just been robbed of a perfectly good winning goal :cry: !
diamond
Regular

Postby jayseibert » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:10 am

I have just returned from my road trip to Nevada, Arizona, and Wyoming and I see y'all have been havin' fun talkin' up slides! Very cool! I'd like to post some of the comments about Paloma slides on my web site, if no one minds. Or if you'd like to write a review that I can post, better yet! It's great to hear that the slides and bars are doing their job... bringing some fun to playing music!
Thanks to all for your continued support!
Now that I am back home, I'll be finalizing my glaze formulas for slides and bars with color! You can see some samples on http://www.stoneslides.com/prototypes . I already have many requests for 'the rose". Stay tuned...
jayseibert
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:46 am

jayseibert wrote:Now that I am back home, I'll be finalizing my glaze formulas for slides and bars with color! You can see some samples on http://www.stoneslides.com/prototypes . I already have many requests for 'the rose". Stay tuned...

Dude...
Words, and my bank balance, fail me 8)
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 pm

diamond wrote:~ as there are so many different slides now available, has anyone thought of producing a 'bullet belt' like the Cowboy's wore - instead of placing bullets in the loops, just make 'em to fit slides 8)

Now there's an awesome idea for a leather worker!

Some of the things harpers use for their tin sandwiches might be adaptable to slide totin'.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:21 pm

jayseibert wrote:I'd like to post some of the comments about Paloma slides on my web site, if no one minds. Or if you'd like to write a review that I can post, better yet!

You're welcome to use any of my yammering. If I got anything too wrong about the pottery stuff, correct me and I'll fix it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:35 am

I just ordered on of these in cobalt blue. My thoughts once it arrives!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 am

How's about someone lining up a few different siides and playing exactly the same tune several times on the same guitar each with a different slide so we can compare the sounds.
Rico or BJ ........how's about a brass, pyrex, diamond ultimate, paloma stoneware, wine bottle and a ham bone compared?
leftyguitarman wrote:I just ordered on of these in cobalt blue. My thoughts once it arrives!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey guys ~ a real 'memory-jogger for old Diamond' from kiwiblues here. A while ago (sometime last year) a soundtest of different slides was requested ~ different glass types (bottles, crystal, Pyrex) vs. a couple of other slide materials being mentioned.

We contacted the guys at Keele Uni over here, and they put us in touch with the team that record Bats in caves & old houses! They use state-of-the-art recording equipment & the results are then put on a 'soundwave graph', logged & databased.

We sent a bunch of slides up to Keele.....and they actually completed the recording & e-mailed me two 'soundwave graphs' of glass types & brass as a comparison.

I've never added these soundwave graphs to our website (looks a little too anorakey :shock: ), but if anyone would like to upload these graphs onto here, or maybe even begin a brand-new thread for me (computer expert i'm not!) i'll be more than happy to e-mail the info if anyone wishes to drop me a line..... :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:45 am

I got my slides today. WOW! They are great. I can't believe the tone and volume I can get from such a lightweight slide. My favorite used to be a hunk of brass--but it's heavy, and it tends to go it's own way sometimes when moving fast due to inertia. The stone slides are much more controllable and the tone and
volume and sustain are great--I've got a new favorite slide now.

Of course the old brass hunk and the two bottlenecks and the ceramic slides will still have their place--as a place to gather dust and something to clean now and then.

I guess I could say more--but I gotta go play my guitar.

Thank you very much Jay--I'll be telling everybody about your slides at Centrum Blues week--I hope you do well with such a great product. . .

Ray
OldWailer
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:48 am

I got my Paloma slide last week and I dig it. 8) Many thanks to Jay for shipping it to my family's address in Washington while I'm up here on vacation. I've used the slide on several jams with some of my buddies, and it has outstanding tone on my Les Paul. It's the only guitar I have with me up here in Washington, but as soon as I get back to Phoenix, my resonator is gonna see a lot of Paloma action.

The construction of the slide is flawless and the glaze is absolutely perfect. The weight is absolutely perfect as well. Well worth the money I paid. If it got lost or broken, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to replace it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby godinguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 am

As a potter I can say that the unglazed bit is there to stop the dang thing sticking to the kiln shelf when the glaze is fired!
The slide would be fired standing up on its (unglazed) end.
Nice looking slides.
Cheers.
godinguy
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:35 am

Well, I gotta make a confession here--after a short honeymoon period with my Paloma slides, I settled in with the blue one--warmest, easiest tone. However, sometimes, when I get in one of those Son House "Low Down Dirty Dog Blues" moods, I still go for the brass hunk--I guess I'm just not pure of heart and if I was Catholic I'd probably have all kinds of work to do to atone--I know they all sound the same to some guys--but I have these sinners ears. . .
OldWailer
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar