Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

Postby jayseibert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

I am thrilled to hear that you have found the slide that you like best...

However, different materials do make different sounds... it is a physical fact. The fact that you can't hear that is unfortunate but obviously makes no matter to you... and that is very cool with me.
jayseibert
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:38 pm

kiwiblues wrote:
I just have to laugh when people start talking about the different or 'better' tones some produce.
It's just the placebo effect at work again.
It's playing technique that makes up for 75% of tone, guitar and strings 20% and slide 5% or less.

The reason I have a number of different slides is that I used to believe this stuff. Now I don't.
I have one comfortable Dunlop brass slide that I use 99% of the time unless I feel like a change.
My search for the grail has ended but you'll be able to do good business with people who are still searching.
Good luck :D

Edited a bit, but the points are up there. I disagree a bit. Not vehemently, but still a bit, pyrex, light chrome, coricidan bottles, thin glass, there are most definitely tonal differences there, you like them or you don't. On acoustic, electric is it's own world I would imagine.

The tonal difference between, say, a Diamond blue and a Diamond green, very little to my ear. At this point it becomes a matter of comfort and weight, I find it the same with the Paloma, black and white, very little difference in tone to my ear, with the black having less of a "footprint". Between the Diamond and the Paloma, very little tonal difference, but each feels a bit different, so depending on the day and the mood, there are 4 good slides right there I can feel confident having in my pocket.

Playing style and guitar set-up come into play as well. Some like a high action guitar and do nothing but slide past the 4th fret, a good heavy brass would be great for that. Some have a bit lower, and play a lot of single note with fingers as well as bottleneck up past 7, and a real heavy slide may be overkill. Some guys don't damp behind the slide, so a heavy slide is a must to lessen the rattle, some guys while damping, press a bit harder on the slide, so...etc. etc. it's never a one size fits all. :shock:

When playing a piece on a flat-top, I use brass, as the glass and ceramic tend to rattle when covering all the strings on one of the 1st 3 frets. Could be technique I suppose, but the brass and my flat-top seem to be the combo.

When using pyrex on any of them, the tone is weak, and you may feel that technique will take care of that, and I'm sure it would carry farther, but the sound will still be weaker acoustically than a glass, brass or stoneware, heavier slide.

I also find that when combining chording with slide work on the upper frets, it helps to have a somewhat slimmer slide, so It's more comfortable to use one of the narrower straight slides instead of the beefier flared glass bottlenecks or the white Paloma. Could technique remedy that so I could use a socket wrench? I suppose anything is possible. I

Another consideration is size. Tons of players out there that do well with whatever is put in their hands, making magic out of a spoon even, but I like comfort, it's nice to be able to pick your size.

It would be soooo nice to have just one guitar I felt I could do it all on, or one slide that worked for every little thing I wanted to do. And there are, I'm sure, a whole city full of excellent musicians that have just that. I'm just not in that club.

Yeah, I suppose we all chase tone and the next better-best thing, but different slides aren't a "gimmick" like some of the crap we all end up buying, although there are a few "gimmicky" slides out there, none of which have been mentioned in this conversation.
Neal
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Weight, feel, length and diameter are all things that obviously differ, and different slides feel better for different styles of playing and different string tensions. I have several favorite slides, but don't have just one I'd use for everything. I believe I've said before that I changed out from my good old Diamond Ultimate to my Craftsman socket just before playing "Dark Was The Night" in church Good Friday because the Craftsman's texture lent itself to better sustain with slide vibrato. Super slick surface texture isn't always the best. Rough and scratchy rarely is, which is the main reason why I wasted my money on the original aluminum Bigheart slide. And why I can't stand to play with a copper pipe section. Some materials absorb and damp vibrations. Try playing with a hambone. No good. Since I've gone to lighter strings than I used to play on, I don't use my super heavy Bigheart Bronze Bomber nearly as much, but sometimes I like it. I find the Paloma Stone Slides to be very comfortable, they have a very nice surface texture, and they sound great on my guitars. Very versatile all around, not something I just drag out on special occasions. But I'm not about to get rid of any of my other favorites, and I sure am glad I don't have to stick to just one slide. Can I tell what an old master was sliding with from listening to a recording? Of course not. I usually can't tell what guitar he's playing, either. But I can tell a difference in which of my slides I'm using when I play, and that's what counts in my book.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:41 pm

So, yeah, it's a minor obsession sometimes. Needlessly so? Yep, but sort of fun, and a whole lot cheaper than buying that what you use 'em on!
Neal
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Great replies guys. You convinced me that I do really NEED one of these Paloma slides grrh!!
And I thought I was doing such a good job of talking myself out of it!
Better get to their website and order one! :oops:

There doesn't seem to be a buy section there.
How do you do it? Just send them a text? :roll:
Last edited by kiwiblues on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 pm

kiwiblues wrote:I just have to laugh when people start talking about the different or 'better' tones some produce.

Sorry Kiwi, but I'm calling BS here. I own four slides. A Dunlop Brass, two wine bottle necks and a Diamond Ultimate. Of the four, the Diamond Ultimate has the best tone. The Dunlop sounds like pure shit on my resonator, but sounds absolutely amazing on my Les Paul. And of my two wine bottlenecks, I only use one because the second one sounds shrill. I can clearly hear a difference between all of them, even if someone else was to put it to the strings of my resonator.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:
kiwiblues wrote:I just have to laugh when people start talking about the different or 'better' tones some produce.

... I can clearly hear a difference between all of them, even if someone else was to put it to the strings of my resonator.

There's definitely a dramatic difference between different materials. There are more subtle differences between different types of glass, at least to my ear. Whether it's better... well there's always a bit of placebo and cognative dissonance there. Of course the latest acquisition sounds best, why else would you have bought it? :)

Hmmm... wonder if a stoneware will make me sound better...
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby stumblin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 pm

I think there is a perceptible difference in tone between the blue & the white Paloma slides. Mine arrived today 8)
Call me crazy, but for my money, the blue sounds warmer or more rounded in tone, whereas the white seems to emphasise clear treble tones. I tried them on a Washburn Parlour, a Washburn 12-string and my Chinese tricone.
I expect I'll be playing quite a lot of guitar during the "honeymoon period."
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:54 pm

See, that's the real benefit. You get a cool new piece of gear, and it makes you play more!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Idunno guys. "Dramatic", "perceptible". I must be doing something wrong. "Feel" is more like it to me. On a few things, the glass and stoneware rattle, where the brass does not, but only on one guitar, a '37 Martin 00-17, so that one when played with a bottleneck, gets a.. well, not a bottleneck, but the brass. The other consideration is weight. Intricate stuff on the Nat 12 seems to work out best with the Ultimate, as it is a bit lighter, thinner, and straight, but I know that's just technique, I've been practicing with the heavier brass, and the thicker glass and Palomas, and can see it happening.

Each of them has a different feel to me, not so much a different tone or sound. Yes, I'll grant you the tone is a smattering different, but not dramatic or very perceptible unless you really, really, really, really, listen.

I could be tone deaf, but I doubt it.
Neal
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Neal wrote:I could be tone deaf, but I doubt it.

Dude, I very much doubt that too.
But me & a bud performed an unscientific experiment this afternoon.
I brought in a parlour guitar tuned A Spanish and three slides:
1 a thin brown glass pill bottle
2 Paloma Blue glaze slide
3 Paloma White glaze slide
He turned away & closed his eyes and I played the same ( or nearly the same) phrase a couple of times with each slide.
After three repeats with each slide, my mate, who totally fixed my computer too, said he thought the pill bottle sounded weaker than the others, the Paloma blue had a warmer tone, he thought the Paloma white emphasised treble tones.
Just sayin' is all :)

P.S. I should say that he didn't know in which order I was going to use the slides. Otherwise it wouldn't even have approached "experimental" status. Hopefully we're all on the same page by now, but what the hell do I know?
'twas ever thus...
stumblin
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:59 am

I have two slides that I use. Current bottle neck (main and favourite) off the top of a champagne bottle, and heavy (I mean heavy as in it takes both hands to lift it out of the box) chrome for practice as it does help develop control and saves my going to the gym.

I think you have two arguments here:

1)When you start it doesn't matter what slide you use cos' you will cause the cat to pack up and leave home even if it was solid gold with a velvet interior. this applies to a lessening degree through your learning process, which lasts years.

2)When the cat returns it is a good sign that; a) you are getting better at sliding, or b) the cats new owner is worse than you. At this stage it is probably worth looking for a slide that suits you, or you like the tone of. This can be a bit of a quest, you may travel many miles, forget many birthdays and anniversaries...

I don't subscribe to the "old bluesmen use anything at hand and make it sound great" urban myth. Most old bluesmen seem to have definite favourites, and some seem to be even more pedantic than us!

Personally, and it is a sad tale, I went the authentic route. I thought I would have more kudos by cutting my own slides. During the long search for the perfect tone and many bottles later I became an alcoholic. It was at this stage I turned to the medicine cabinet. Things went from bad to worse and I ended up on the street foraging for old cigarette butts, (no tone or sustain). At this point I reached rock bottom and booked myself into the Betty Boo Slide clinic. I'm on the mend now but can never be left alone with a corcidine bottle again. I recommend Paloma, it's the safe route. 8)
The Breeze
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:19 am

Breeze, you are a natural born storyteller. That was sooo good. :lol: :lol:
ricbleu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm

:mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm sure I'd have a heap of different bottle necks with the amount of booze we get through in our family, if only I could find a cheap simple way of cutting them off!!
I tried the burnt string method once.
Still picking the bits of glass out of my fingers!! :roll: :cry: :blink:
kiwiblues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar