Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Paloma Stoneware Slides, The Scoop!

Postby jayseibert » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I just received your order, and appreciate the fact that you are willing to wait. I remain confident that you will find that the wait was worth it!
Thanks for your order! :D

Jay
(from Las Vegas, next stop... Prescott, AZ... 108 degrees today! :shock: )
jayseibert
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah, but it's a dry heat. :wink:
ricochet
Regular

Postby whirligig » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for your in depth review of these Rico, I've also ordered one and wait patiently for it to arrive. Looks well worth the wait.
whirligig
Regular

Postby Mars » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 am

Yeah Rico sold me one too!
Mars
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 am

If you make it down to Phoenix, it'll make Prescott feel like Woodland! It got up to 109 in Anthem the other day (on the north end of Phoenix) which means that down in central Phoenix it was at least 112.

When I get a few bones in my PayPal account, I'll send some money your way and get one of these slides. I could always use one more!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Neal » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:01 am

They are good slides. Different than glass from an inner feel, of course. Smooth enough to be counted among the quality makers. Comfortable to use, if this was your only slide, you'd be happy with it. Tone-wise I'm deaf, must be. Not a lot of difference between the white or black, or the glass and stone to my ear. A bit I suppose, but not significant as the difference between these and brass (different but great) or these and pyrex (crap).

All in all excellent work from Paloma. Keepers.
Neal
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:14 am

Here's the elephant in the corner of the room.
Is there any real point in buying one of these if you already have glass, brass, steel, bronze and pyrex slides a I do.
Seriously, I tend to think not!!
Better spend the money on a clip on tuner so you have one on every guitar methinks :roll: :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 am

Maybe not, but I think it's hard to have too many slides. :mrgreen:

(And I bought a bunch of cheap chromatic tuners from MF when they went on closeout for something like $4.00 each last winter.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:26 am

Man you always get the bargains Rico. You seem to have a nose for them.
Got any spare?
ricochet wrote:Maybe not, but I think it's hard to have too many slides. :mrgreen:

(And I bought a bunch of cheap chromatic tuners from MF when they went on closeout for something like $4.00 each last winter.)
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 am

I've stuck 'em around in guitar cases and bags. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Here's the elephant in the corner of the room.
Is there any real point in buying one of these if you already have glass, brass, steel, bronze and pyrex slides a I do.
Seriously, I tend to think not!!
Better spend the money on a clip on tuner so you have one on every guitar methinks :roll: :lol:

I have to say, you have a point there. We're an obsessive bunch, eh? Of the 6 I enjoy using, can only use one. at. a. time.
But like all things, good for the toolbox. Get one.
Neal
Regular

Postby jayseibert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:36 pm

What is the point?

Why did you buy six different slides or bars in the first place? because you were looking for a tone or a tactile feel you didn't have, and perhaps the slides you already had weren't giving you the tone you were looking for. Why do we have so many amp types available? types of strings available? types of picks available? types of guitars available? It goes on and on. We desire and like choices... in all things

Brass, glass, steel, and bronze all have different "tone"... and so does Paloma Stone Slides. The name of the game for many players is to find the right "tone" for the song.

So if you have no need for another slide because you think you have found your "tone", then fantastic! You don't need one of my Paloma Stone Slides... I don't expect to sell to everyone... just those who search for and appreciate good equipment and excellent tone.
jayseibert
Regular

Postby Neal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm

jayseibert wrote:What is the point?

Why did you buy six different slides or bars in the first place? because you were looking for a tone or a tactile feel you didn't have, and perhaps the slides you already had weren't giving you the tone you were looking for. Why do we have so many amp types available? types of strings available? types of picks available? types of guitars available? It goes on and on. We desire and like choices... in all things

Brass, glass, steel, and bronze all have different "tone"... and so does Paloma Stone Slides. The name of the game for many players is to find the right "tone" for the song.

So if you have no need for another slide because you think you have found your "tone", then fantastic! You don't need one of my Paloma Stone Slides... I don't expect to sell to everyone... just those who search for and appreciate good equipment and excellent tone.

Calm, Jay, I'm on your side buddy... I actually have about 12, all but the 6 are crap, to me anyway. Paloma counts for 2 of those good slides. And If I have an opportunity to try a Nunwell, maybe one of those, and definitely a Tribo-Tone when the bottleneck comes out.

There seem to be only a few makers at the top of the heap regarding slides and bottlenecks. Good to try them all, maybe have an offering of each. You're one of them.
Neal
Regular

Postby jayseibert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:52 pm

I didn't mean to sound like I was all riled up!
I need to work on being able to effectively translate what my brain wants to say into appropriate words.
Thanks for understanding!
jayseibert
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Wow, I've got nothing against your slides at all.
I think it's great that some people collect them. There are some very pretty ones.
I just have to laugh when people start talking about the different or 'better' tones some produce.
It's just the placebo effect at work again.
It's playing technique that makes up for 75% of tone, guitar and strings 20% and slide 5% or less.
I defy anyone to be able to tell me what slide any of the maestros are using during a particular recording.
The reason I have a number of different slides is that I used to believe this stuff. Now I don't.
I have one comfortable Dunlop brass slide that I use 99% of the time unless I feel like a change.
My search for the grail has ended but you'll be able to do good business with people who are still searching.
Good luck :D
jayseibert wrote:What is the point?

kiwiblues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar