Dark was the night, cold was the ground

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Dark was the night, cold was the ground

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Here's my current favorite take on the old tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QLbi4E3 ... eu0cl6G1Gw
guitarslim101
Regular

Re: Dark was the night, cold was the ground

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:03 pm

I like it!
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Marc Ribot is probably my biggest playing influence right now. I'm working up a set's worth of material of this kind of thing so I can try to get some gigs in this summer. Hopefully I'll find some places where dissonance is accepted.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Very fancy camera work, (too fancy), but the guy was takin' so long to get to the beef, I gave up on it.
Just play the song already. :roll:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Bournio » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 am

Bill, I don't think he takes any longer than the original to get into the song, I really like it! there's some nice playing going on!
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:52 am

He not only takes a lot longer to get into the tune than Blind Willie Johnson did, he plays it at a much slower overall tempo as all modern players I've heard do. (I wonder if everyone I've heard isn't heavily influenced by Ry Cooder?) OTOH, I wonder if Mr. Johnson might not have sped his performance up because of the limited recording time on the 78 RPM disk? Listening to old music, I think that must have been a very common practice along with sometimes slowing the disks down as has often been discussed with regard to Robert Johnson.

Along that line, sighted players were commonly given visual cues about remaining time, and sometimes you can hear them speeding up as the end approaches. I wonder how they did that with blind players?
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 am

I like what he's doing. Marc Ribot is a classically trained musician so it's his decision to play those "out of key" notes, not the result of ignorance. I've watched a few of his Youtube vids and his experimentation is admirable. It might be personally satisfying to be able to reproduce (for example) a Robert Johnson song note for note but it doesn't break any new ground and I'll bet RJ played them differently each time too. Once you reach a certain degree of technical proficiency, you can use any idea as a starting point and fly away with your own sound concept bringing your personal style and feel and background to make something that is unique. Why rehash RJ or Led Zepplin etc etc? It's like copying the same poem out of a book time after time. Whether one likes Marc Ribot's music or not isn't the point, the point is that MR creates something which wasn't there until he did it. Rick
ricbleu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

I quite agree.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bobem » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Hello, I've made the tab of Ry Cooder's "Dark was the night", the one he played forthe movie Paris, Texas.
You can find it here: http://bluesdevache.blogspot.com/2011/07/ry-cooder-making-of-paris-texas-4.html
Plus more stuff about the making of the soundtrack (I'm sorry, this is in french!)
Hope you'll like it!
:wink:
bobem
Regular

Return to Guitar