Audacity audio recorder, free download...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Audacity audio recorder, free download...

Postby gaucho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Anyone using this? I downloaded the Mac version and recorded some playing last nigh. Seems to work well and I'm looking forward to recording clips to track my progress. I need a decent Mic for my computer. Any thoughts?

Here's the free download: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
gaucho
Regular

Re: Audacity audio recorder, free download...

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm

AWESOME for a freebie.

I use Cubase now, but there's rather a lot that you can do with Audacity.

They also have a great forum, so when you run into trouble, it's easy to get advice.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I've used and recommend Mac Audacity and the old PlainTalk desktop mics that used to come with Macs. If you can pick one of those up, it's a high quality little electret (condenser) mic with an excellent wide frequency band, being made for speech recognition. Does music very well.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Freeman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I don't record with Audacity but I use it a lot for editing and file conversion. One of the great features is that it will convert from .wav to mp3 (as I recall it is in the "save as" drop down). The first time you save as an mp3 it will prompt you for a LAME converter - just google it and download the free file, then it won't ask again (been a while since I did it but it was pretty straight forward)

One of the cool features the graphical display of your song - you can use that to clip and paste sections, overdub, etc. I also use that when I am doing tests - for example I once recorded 5 different sets of pins on the same guitar, then used Audacity to compare volume and sustain.

Recommended
Freeman
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 pm

ricochet wrote:I've used and recommend Mac Audacity and the old PlainTalk desktop mics that used to come with Macs. If you can pick one of those up, it's a high quality little electret (condenser) mic with an excellent wide frequency band, being made for speech recognition. Does music very well.

Hey Ric, is that the old gray sorta "D"shaped mic that used to come with apple towers? I have one, but the plug is longer that the standard mini plug my macbook uses for it's audio input.
gaucho
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 pm

That's the one. Might need an adapter.
ricochet
Regular

Postby michaelm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 pm

gaucho, I've been using Audacity with Linux to record and edit for several years now. Works great for me.

For input, I usually use a small mixer. I run whatever mics and/or pickups I'm using into the mixer, then run the mixer Line Out to the sound-card Line In.
With that setup, I can use the PA as a monitor. Sometimes I just use the PA and run that Line Out to the sound-card Line In. Before spending too much money, I'd recommend experimenting with whatever you've got on hand.

HTH - YMMV.
michaelm
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Good info, but I got nuttin' on hand! Anyone use a Blue Snowflake or Snowball USB mic? Some decent deals on these on Amazon.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 pm

I've never used a USB mic, so I can't be a lot of help...

They're probably OK, if you're running other USB devices the quality will drop and Latency(delay between what you play and what you hear) will probably increase.

I run ProTools LE(although at uni I really like to use an Alesis HD24), and a wide range of mics, I do have to compress one of my songs down to MP3 to post on here at some point!
Bournio
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:06 pm

I have used Audacity for alot of years and as said, it ain't bad for a freebie. There were some things I did find another free bit of software worked better for certain things but it has been a while and I don't recall what it was.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:08 pm

I've been playing around with it and it seems good. I also discovered that my Mac has a program called "Soundtrack" that looks even more high end. Anyone use that? I ordered a USB Mic off Amazon, a Samson Go Mic Compact USB. It was on a=sale for $35 and had good reviews. Seems fine for what I need. Anyone use one of those?
gaucho
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

gaucho
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, the apps that come with the Mac like Garage Band are supposed to be great. I just haven't gotten around to using any of them yet. Maybe before I die...
ricochet
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am

I pump a Zoom H2 into it. I love Audacity.

And why use a truckload of equipment if you're recording solo stuff?
Old Stella
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Old Stella wrote:I pump a Zoom H2 into it. I love Audacity.

And why use a truckload of equipment if you're recording solo stuff?

Mike Oldfield is a solo artist..

Other than that it gives you a bit more power to compress vocals so they're clearer, or even do something crazy like turn the guitar down to let the voice be heard more.
Bournio
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar