Page 1 of 3

flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 am
by kr236rk
Hi,

what are flared slides all about please? - have only just discovered these on googling for a new slide, not seen these before though

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page ... ucts/picks

thanks

Ric

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:56 am
by La.Blue
My understanding is that the flared end follows the arch of the strings on a radiased fingerboard. I've used on of the Harris Slides for several years and like it pretty well. It gives a big fat note. You can hear it here at about 3:15 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YCbTJW4Vtc

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 am
by kr236rk
La.Blue wrote:My understanding is that the flared end follows the arch of the strings on a radiased fingerboard. I've used on of the Harris Slides for several years and like it pretty well. It gives a big fat note. You can hear it here at about 3:15 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YCbTJW4Vtc


cool ~ La.Blue!

really enjoyed that :) gonna try one of those flared slides ;)

still setting up my Yamaha 311, it is sounding better, i just upped the lightest string from 012 to 014 and it has given it some nice tension away from the radial fretboard

nice guitar you have there btw - Guild or Gretsch?

thanks

R

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm
by La.Blue
Glad you found it helpful. The guitar is a Guild X-150D. It was my do everything guitar until I started getting interested in resonator guitars. Now I'm beginning to develop a bad case of GAS for a National.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:23 pm
by kr236rk
La.Blue wrote:Glad you found it helpful. The guitar is a Guild X-150D. It was my do everything guitar until I started getting interested in resonator guitars. Now I'm beginning to develop a bad case of GAS for a National.
:lol:

thanks La.Blue,

have a dobro (Hohner) but would love a steel (guitar-o-holic), one in D and one in G tuning ;)

will post a vid of the 311 set up when i get that together

bests

Ric

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 pm
by La.Blue
That'll be great. We'll all looking forward to that :D.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:07 am
by kr236rk
La.Blue wrote:That'll be great. We'll all looking forward to that :D.


no worries - thanks - waitin on a slide - must get back to some scales in the meantime, slackin off there recently :shock:

:wink:

Ric

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:46 am
by zhyla
kr236rk wrote:what are flared slides all about please?


My opinion is flared slides are a symptom of music gear companies lack of experience with slide guitar. The first thing a new slide player does is take a slide, strumss all 6 strings, and slides it around. A year later that player is playing a few strings and making them sound good. Straight slides work fine on radiused boards.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:53 pm
by La.Blue
I suspect that you're right about most sliders. And manufacturers do have to convince the public that they have the newest, best invention in the world. Something that we certainly can't do without.

Some sliders do play the lower pitched strings, though. Here's a couple of examples.

Of course, neither of them would really be called strictly blues player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ee6YFuKuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzk46iToo4

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 pm
by Neal
La.Blue wrote:I suspect that you're right about most sliders. And manufacturers do have to convince the public that they have the newest, best invention in the world. Something that we certainly can't do without.

Some sliders do play the lower pitched strings, though. Here's a couple of examples.

Of course, neither of them would really be called strictly blues player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ee6YFuKuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzk46iToo4


Oh my, that landreth video.

Straight slide's best, but I'm new at the dedicated slide stuff, all I know is I had one of the others and just couldn't use it, even on a radius board. Weird feeling, they are.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:32 pm
by La.Blue
I guess it's all in what you become accustomed to. :)

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm
by Neal
La.Blue wrote:I guess it's all in what you become accustomed to. :)


That is the key thing right there.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:16 am
by ricochet
And you can collect all sorts of slides to use as the spirit moves you.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:28 am
by kiwiblues
I've got a Dunlop flared Eric Sardinas slide. it's one of my favourites. Comfortable and aesy to use with great sound.
I'm off glass at the moment and have been using it a lot. :)
ricochet wrote:And you can collect all sorts of slides to use as the spirit moves you.

Re: flared slides?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
by Neal
Well, I just got a Diamond Redhouse in the mail all the way from sunny England yesterday. This one has slightly conical shape with straight sides. I also use an Ultimate that is straight. Both are excellent, the Redhouse allows for a sloppier wrist to avoid fret-bumping (knock-knock-knock), but I like 'em both.

The other slide I could not get use to had not only a slightly conical shape, but had a radius also. Is this what you were originally referring to? It's like a light went off that this may be..... :wha: