flared slides?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: flared slides?

Postby diamond » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey Guys ~ thanks for some of the nice comments here about our slides :wink: My personal take on the curved-sided (as opposed to tapered-sided) slides is that they do have some uses, but as previously mentioned above, only on guitars with seriously radiused fingerboards & a string radius to match - early Strat's (7 1/2" string radius) and old hollow bodied jazzers like Hofner's had this fingerboard / string radius......if you have a curved-sided slide which matches your string radius you'll be good to play the slide intro of a Bugs Bunny cartoon :mrgreen:

Hey Neal.....your 'Blue Diamond' left the U.K. last Friday on it's journey.... :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby Slim_Jones » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm

I love my Blue Diamond - the sound it produces is one of a kind IMHO, can't exactly describe it in words, but it's very different from my Red House or from my many metal slide (well, maybe close to a copper slide I made). And it's a beauty as well, you gonna like it!

Cheers everyone, been a while since I wrote here....

Ilan
Slim_Jones
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 am

I wonder who did play that old Looney Tunes intro? I'm sure it was done on a steel guitar. It's a classic.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:17 am

diamond wrote:Hey Guys ~ thanks for some of the nice comments here about our slides :wink: My personal take on the curved-sided (as opposed to tapered-sided) slides is that they do have some uses, but as previously mentioned above, only on guitars with seriously radiused fingerboards & a string radius to match - early Strat's (7 1/2" string radius) and old hollow bodied jazzers like Hofner's had this fingerboard / string radius......if you have a curved-sided slide which matches your string radius you'll be good to play the slide intro of a Bugs Bunny cartoon :mrgreen:

Hey Neal.....your 'Blue Diamond' left the U.K. last Friday on it's journey.... :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.

That's good news, thanks Ian. Looking forward to playing it. If someone told me a few years ago that I'd be spending this much on 3 slides, I'd have laughed. I'm a believer though. There is a big difference to my ear and comfort playing with these, as opposed to the Pyrex, ceramic, and glass I've used. I still love my heavy brass slide. Wonder who made that, I've had it so long..

Hi Illan, looking forward even more now to that Blue.
Neal
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 am

Sure does, and as I said in my earlier post, Dunlop make a copy of his and I have one. I love it. I've got heaps of glass slides and this polished brass one is still my favourite.
I would recommend it. I got mine off Ebay. 8)
NEONMOONY wrote:Doesn't Eric Sardinas use a flared slide?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kr236rk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 am

Bournio wrote:it doesn't "have" to be the normal way! I'm sure if iI put any amount of effort in I could find an early slide blues guy who played lap style.

I don't know, it could be Henry Sloan, it could've been someone else!

'gotta be' is kinda ironic

it is a great shame My Handy (trained musician) not only neglected to note down exactly what he saw (?) but also didn't enquire after the name of the slide player who has such a great effect on him; still i stand to be corrected: any WC Handy scholars out there please?

there's some more on the mysterious bluesman here: about half way down - the incident seems to have inspired Handy's 'Yellow Dog Blues'

http://www.nps.gov/history/DELTA/BLUes/ ... _handy.htm

and ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrx2-vvwC4&feature=fvw

"where the Southern cross the Yellow Dog"

funny how these midnight junction dudes always have this profound effect ;)

Ric
kr236rk
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar