Faux-Resonator guitar!! Pickup installed..!!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Faux-Resonator guitar!! Pickup installed..!!

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:10 pm

I owned one for a bit - a Harmony. Don't think they are that old though - they came out sometime in the early 1960s - probably to catch the attention of folks during the folk music revival. Sure looked cool but like all Harmony guitars it had the most brutish top bracing known to man. Sturdy as hell but not a whole lotta top flutter.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Most of these fake reso's came out during the 1930's when the real reso's were the coolest guitars around. :mrgreen:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:35 am

I had one in the early 80's. It looked cool in the guitar stand. I played a dreadnaught, a banjo, and an old wood National, and for "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" I hung it on me Dobro style. The mic had an awful time picking it up. The old boy I bought it from told me about the lack of resonator and showed me the all brass bridge he put in it (no doubt to try to bring out the sound.) It was a REAL thin sound!!! It was a birch body. I don't know what happened to it. I think it worked its way into the garage and out to the road. But the funk factor was 100 ! !
Old Stella
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar