The 2nd Amendment

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Re: The 2nd Amendment

Postby bluejay » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Jeez, the Somali pirates are better behaved than those kids, based on recent hostage reports. When we still had kids in the house, I kept everything that went bang in a gun safe. Some modification to that now that the girls are off on their own (not to mention being adults).

Our episode of enlightenment on safety came one night earlier this year when SWAT came to handle a domestic/barricaded gunman situation across the street from us. The whole neighborhood was put on lockdown, and we had a deputy with an AR out in our driveway for several hours. The SWAT armored car finally brought a negotiator in close enough to perps house to talk him out. We watched the takedown from our kitchen window. We now refer to the guy as "Swatjob."

Now the skipper (of the house and the boat) says she wants to be prepared to repell boarders. That's a big change for someone who grew up in the U.P. when no one ever locked their doors or their cars.

Sadly, no CCW in Wisconsin unless you are on your own property or in your own business.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 am

I've always been torn between safety of others (keeping guns locked up) vs. being able to get to the gun in a hurry if I needed to. I settled on keeping the weapon in the same closet, unloaded, and putting the rounds in the nightstand next to my bed. My dad was a free lance corporate pilot who was a deputy sheriff because of his involvements in air searches: he walked me through his philosophy on home defense. His premise was that your first defense weapon was to turn on the lights in the house (this spoken by a man who assisted in the arrest of copkillers and kept a loaded .38 snubnose in the car) . He said if the lights don't get them out, you'll probably need your weapon. He also said that if you ever had to shoot, don't worry about missing, 'cuz the sound of a round going off inside a house is enough to deter any idiot. He also had a few handguns hidden in places around the house in case he needed to have one close. When he died we found all the weapons except one... a 9mm H&K doublestacker automatic with a pearl handle, nickle plated. I liked the gun 'cuz it would fire with no clip, with a round in the chamber, and it was beautifully balanced and accurate. We looked in all the air vents, etc., and it never turned up. I wish I coulda found it; it was a great gun.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 am

Jeffl, sorry to hear about the shotgun business. I am in favor of severe and stiff penalties for gun crimes. Those teens getting away torks me. Who ever was caught with the gun, or prints on that gun should of been incarcerated until they were 21. If the gun was found in a house and the parents claim they didn't know, they should also be incarcerated. Gun crimes are serious. If the penalties were extreme and severe then bad guys would think twice about being caught with one. I get angry at our lenient court systems and I was arrested many times as a teen. Fact is I ain't never done any thing wrong I didn't get caught for.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 am

Guns and knives aren't pretty... where I live at home, fatal crimes are less rare, but GBH and ABH are quite common, simply cos with less guns and knives people just punch people till they fall then kick them in the head, it ain't pretty, but it happens and nowt's gonna happen bout it really, which is a shame.

Would be nice if people just used guns to hunt, and knives as tools, but it ain't gonna happen when people realise they can be used to kill...
Bournio
Regular

Postby bluejay » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:06 am

jeffl wrote:I've always been torn between safety of others (keeping guns locked up) vs. being able to get to the gun in a hurry if I needed to.

Boy, I hear you Bubba. Loading a magazine (let alone unlocking a safe or gun lock) when a situation arises could take too long, but leaving a loaded gun in the wrong place (even if it seemed like the right place when you put it there) has its downside. But as they say, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I'm forever a product of my years in Boy Scouts: Be Prepared tends to trump all.
bluejay
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Recently received an email, maybe some of you got it too. Goes like this :

Doctors
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human
Services.

Now think about this:

Guns

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is
80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age
groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times
more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors
do.'

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT
LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the
statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people
to panic and seek medical attention!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:15 pm

I don't believe their stat on numbers of accidental deaths caused by physicians, but it was a fun counterattack to organized medical groups promoting gun control. Actually, a lot of the docs I know are avid shooters.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:09 pm

ricochet wrote:I don't believe their stat on numbers of accidental deaths caused by physicians

Yeah, that seems a bit far fetched, but of course I have no idea. :lol: Sounds a little extreme.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 pm

When I was little living on the westside of Chicago, we had no guns in our house. It seemed to me, my impression at that time when I was 4 to 9 or 10 years old, was that the people who got shot were the same people who carried guns. But now things are different. Many kids are getting shot way too frequently, kids who don't have guns and had been trying to live the unarmed lifestyle. It pisses me off how these gangbangers go around trying to shoot each other from moving vehicles when they probably have never been within 100 yards of a practice range. Of course the ones getting hit are not their targets. There must be some way to severely decrease the number of innocent kids getting shot without taking away the people's right to arm themselves. There must be some way to make it difficult for such as the street gangs to obtain guns and ammo and still let Grady have his.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Severe penalties for gun crimes. I mean severe. I have no problem with life without parole if a criminal has a gun while committing a crime, a criminal of any age. If, while committing the crime the gun goes off, even if it doesn't hit anyone, the death penalty. Total disregard for life should cost you your life. Putting others in danger should be life in prison. We have liberal jackals that want light sentences for crimes and only stiffer ones if they are repeat offenders. I say no repeaters, not if there was a gun used in a crime. If you get pulled over and have an illegal gun in your car, 10 years minimum. I'm sick of my own neighbor hood being shot up. Severe penalties for gun crimes.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:17 am

I agree, if people are held accountable for their actions, it makes a difference. Prior restraint by trying to limit access to misusable items doesn't work very well, as has been demonstrated over and over. The chief problem lies in our impotent criminal justice system. King Solomon understood it long ago:
"When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, the hearts of the people are filled with schemes to do wrong." (Ecclesiastes 8:11, NIV)
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Ric said
I don't believe their stat on numbers of accidental deaths caused by physicians, but it was a fun counterattack to organized medical groups promoting gun control. Actually, a lot of the docs I know are avid shooters.

I didn't expect the numbers to be taken seriously. You should never look to mass distributed email for your "facts", a great number of them are just made up and totally bs. Even if you get number quotes from an "agency" does not make them accurate. Particularly those emails that are meant to inflame. I just thought it was funny.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Oh, I know, I did, too. I've seen that posted on some of the gun boards where many were taking it very seriously, though. What prompted it is that some medical groups like the AMA and American Academy of Pediatrics, as well as quasi-governmental organizations like the Centers for Disease Control, have unwisely attempted to "educate" us out of gun ownership. And the forms we're required to use for well child checkups, if followed to the letter, ask about guns in the home. (Many people take strong offense to that.) I've seen posters the AAP put out for doctors' offices warning that a gun in the home is far more likely to be used to shoot a member of the household than an intruder, or linking guns in the home with suicides, etc. Personally, I don't think it's a doctor's job to be an agent of social reform, whether you believe the stats or not.
ricochet
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:54 am

Charlotte Bacon, 6

Daniel Barden, 7

Rachel Davino, 29

Olivia Engel, 6

Josephine Gay, 7

Ana Marquez-Greene, 6

Dylan Hockley, 6

Dawn Hochsprung, 47

Madeleine Hsu, 6

Catherine Hubbard, 6

Chase Kowalski, 7

Jesse Lewis, 6

James Mattioli, 6

Grace McDonnell, 7

Anne Marie Murphy, 52

Emilie Parker, 6

Jack Pinto, 6

Noah Pozner, 6

Caroline Previdi, 6

Jessica Rekos, 6

Avielle Richman, 6

Lauren Rousseau, 30

Mary Sherlach, 56

Victoria Soto,27

Benjamin Wheeler, 6

Allison Wyatt, 6

beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Gas is about twice that price here in Arkansas and more other places.
People can theorize about why and when robbery and violent crime goes up, why people go crazy and amass arsenals etc etc etc.
The fact remains:
The best solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

We look at recent tragic events and wish someone would have been able to do something. Guess what- That someone is every one of us in a free society. Freedom carries with it responsibility, to one's fellows and our own selves. If I want a functional society that really works I need to inform myself, vote, and be willing to defend my self and family- and a theater full of patrons or a school full of kids- from the nuts and evil-doers in my society. There have always been sick and violent people and probably there always will be. They should not have their way because I'm afraid to step into harm's way to protect what I love.
jawbone60
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Way off Topic