The 2nd Amendment

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

The 2nd Amendment

Postby grady » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 am

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack)

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun 'cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

7. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

grady
Regular

Re: The 2nd Amendment

Postby blueswrench » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:06 am

Good stuff and very true Grady. Ive owned and been around firearms all my life and couldn't imagine doing without 'em. Some of my best memories are of target shooting at an old dump with a .22 revolver. Very cheap entertainment. Do you have a conceal carry permit? I haven't got mine yet because I don't have anything small enough to carry that way. A 6 1/2 Ruger Blackhawk is kinda tough to hide. :lol:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 am

Actually, my first concealed carry piece was my old 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. I already had it, and nothing else. In a large Bianchi X-15 intended for an 8 3/8" S&W Model 29, it's quite well concealed under a light jacket and rapidly accessible. You have to be a little careful sitting down in a car. BTW, a 9 1/2" barreled Colt Walker .44 replica also fits nicely in that holster and is equally well concealed, though cap & ball isn't my first choice for serious defensive use.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:28 am

I need to go get my permit to carry instead of just carrying a gun without one.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:37 am

grady wrote:I need to go get my permit to carry instead of just carrying a gun without one.

That would be a good idea. :D

I've always grown up around guns and I've been shooting them since my dad decided I could do it safely. I totally support gun ownership (with certain regulations of course) but it can be hard to defend the second amendment in today's world. It states exactly:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That can be looked at differently but it always seems to be up to the supreme court to decide. Anyways, when I turn 21 I plan on buying a handgun and taking courses on how to properly use them so I can carry one. Instead of going out and having drinks on my 21st, I'm going to buy a gun.

That shirt picture cracks me up too. :lol: It's funny. However, I know guns don't kill people by themselves, but they certainly help. As Eddie Izzard says: "You'd have to be a bit weak on the heart to die from some one yelling "BANG!""

At my dad's house in Washington, I had some guns on a rack in my room, one of which was always loaded just in case. I would have friends over and they usually felt uncomfortable around them (especially the girls). A lot of people think guns are so bad, but if they are used responsibly and with care, there usually isn't a problem.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 pm

I carry a 9mm semi automatic with 10 in the clip and one in the pipe. If I am outside my house it's on my hip. I do have a permit as does my wife, she packs a 380 semi automatic loaded the same way. My drummer was leery when I first joined the band but he's okay with it now. I am responsible for my gun. If it goes off it's my fault or my deliberate action. I do not play with my gun, I do not show if off and if I ever have to pull it I am going to shoot an attacker. My gun has made me less "mouthy" to people and much more polite. I beileve the 2nd Admendment is clear "the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed", I don't care what Eric Holden thinks it says. Am I a paranoid citizen? Not really but society is getting insane. I don't want to die because some fool show's up shooting everyone, at least I don't want to die not shooting back.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:32 am

"WHY I HAVE A GUN"
My old grandpa said to me son,' there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin'.

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a
scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see
the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of
government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of
my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in
my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow
afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I
want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care
of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three
armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who
make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must
protect themselves. Police do not protect you from
crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it
happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die
and too old to take a whoopin'.

...author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Dial 911 is a glorified Government sponsored "Dial-a-Prayer" because a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
blueswrench
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:29 am

One of my favorite jokes

The definition of a Conservative: a Liberal who was mugged last night.
mike932
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:11 am

We do have some unpleasant places here, but obviously not to the same extent you have in the U.S.. In contrast, Darowyn's definition of excitement in Bridlington goes something like "Major traffic incident at crossroads! Rabbit slightly upset!"
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm

maxx england wrote: In contrast, Darowyn's definition of excitement in Bridlington goes something like "Major traffic incident at crossroads! Rabbit slightly upset!"

Front page news of my local news paper when I'm at home was along the lines of "Chippies forced to use 5hole salt shakers"
Bournio
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

The one about to old to take a whoopin' is my case. I also like the advice "don't start a fight with an old man, he'll just kill you."
Headlines in my paper read on a daily to weekly basis: Home Invasion, two armed suspect kick down door. Stabbing, late night party turns violent. Drive by Shooting, three houses shot at, all three attacks possibly by same suspects, gang related. Police Called To Local Bar, at least 20 people involved in melee that sent 4 to local hospitals.
The addresses given of these crimes are within blocks from my house and many right around my block. I do think gangs and drugs account for most of it. I have people walk up and down my street 24/7. We are due for our first snow dusting any day. When I wake up the morning of there will be foot prints up to my front door and as I look I will see the same footprints having gone to every house on my street, I believe they are checking for open doors. I can also assume this happens alot thru the summer months and so on when you can't see footprints. I pack my pa and bass gear out of my house to the cruiser and then back into my house at 2 am in the morning, after the gig, a few times every month. I worry people see the gear and figure they can get it. Yes there are people walking by at 2 am. I live in the broke down side of town.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

I can only wish you peace and a chance to move somewhere better. You shouldn't have to live like that. Nobody should.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 pm

I bought this house because it's only $440.00 a month, I can make that payment on my wages alone. It's also 2 blocks from my job. I park my car on Sunday and don't start it up again until the next Friday night. I walk to work all week. If the economy keeps tanking and I get laid off, the wife and I are talking heading south to Arizona. Things won't be better there but at least it will be warmer. A lot more bars to play also.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:26 pm

mike932 wrote:One of my favorite jokes

The definition of a Conservative: a Liberal who was mugged last night.

Yeahp, sure is a knee-slapper...
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 pm

bigdaddy wrote:If the economy keeps tanking and I get laid off, the wife and I are talking heading south to Arizona. Things won't be better there but at least it will be warmer. A lot more bars to play also.

I've been looking around Craigslist in Phoenix to see if I can find some new people to jam with and I always see lots of bars looking for people to play in them. My neighbor has a band and he plays in bars all over the Phoenix Valley a couple nights a week. And yeah, it is quite warm here. :D Today it's going to be 75! The economy here isn't too great though. Lots of people seem to be getting laid off, but gas is cheap. I saw it for $1.55 the other day. Not sure what the prices are like anywhere else in the U.S., but six months ago I was paying $4.39, so it's nice to see it really low.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Way off Topic