Other Genres

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Other Genres

Postby rockitmarty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 pm

What other genres and or new artists have you guys been listening to? When I'm feeling something other than blues I usually go
for rock (new or classic). Recently I've been getting really into 16 Second Stare, their song Red Carpet Material has become definite favorite of mine. I recently saw this pretty cool interview of them backstage at one of their shows. I'm hoping they tour again soon, check out the interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qdipVUZMpc

What do you think?

-Marty
UMGD
rockitmarty
Regular

Re: Other Genres

Postby texas blues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:11 am

I listen to a bit of everything and steal from everyone. Lately it's been...
Asylum Street Spankers
Chris Cornell
Ojay's
Disturbed
Texas Tornados
James Brown
Be Bop Deluxe
Ohio Players

I'm befuddled trying to figure out how to convert Ohio Players - "Skintight"...into a shuffle.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:14 am

There's not much new stuff I find interesting , although my daughter turned me on to My Chemical Romance .....

other non blues stuff I've been listening to lately are as follows :

Dwight Yoakam , Spinners , Danzig , Sara Evans , Grim Reaper , CJ Chenier , Primus , Satelite Soul , Duke Ellington , Dinasour Jr , Bettye Swann , Jason and THe Scorchers , the Sparklejets , Hank Thompson and Tool .......
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:23 am

Well, I got a Stanley Brothers box set a couple of days ago... but then the CD player in my car broke! So from the radio, I've been really loving that Taylor Swift song "Picture to Burn," and Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike." Jeez, those are good.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:36 am

I like (as Beavis and Butthead would say) music that doesn't suck.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:49 am

dcblues wrote:I like (as Beavis and Butthead would say) music that doesn't suck.

Does this mean you like female artistes that blow, then? :?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 am

Dust your broom Maxx. My mother reads this forum, she now wants to fly to England and spank your bottom.

If it ain't the Blues, I listen and play Jazz. To all of you single men out there, playing Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and anything by Chet Baker during an attempted romantic interlude is guaranteed pantie dropping music. :mrgreen:
mike932
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 am

mike932 wrote:Dust your broom Maxx. My mother reads this forum, she now wants to fly to England and spank your bottom.

Erm, you wouldn't happen to have a recent photograph of the lady, would you? :oops: :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:28 pm

I'll listen to anything, including classical and jazz, but I've really developed an aversion to some of the most formulaic country out there; you know the kind... where they take a tricky phrase like "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" and build an entire tune out of it (actually, that tune is one of the few of that formula that I liked,lol!). I like classic punk (Clash,Sex Pistols, Ramones,etc.), old blues/rock (foghat etc.), and I love classic funk and psychedelic funk. Good old primitive delta blues is probably at the top of my listening list, but I'd rather play dance blues with guitar,organ,harp, bass, and drums.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:01 am

All kinds of music.

lately, loads of old funk.

and always slabs of reggae - I cover a lot of Jimmy Cliff and I pretty much worship Lee "Scratch" Perry, I dig Yellowman and Horace Andy, Steel Pulse, Toots, man there's just tons of that stuff that I love.

But I listen to Sinatra - especially the albums he made with Count Basie, the Riddle Orchestra seems to hide Franks talent behind schmaltz. And Miles. And the Fun Lovin' Criminals.

I like some classic rock, but theres not much of it that I really love. But classic Country spins my wheels, and I love that Bakersfield sound.

Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong...

I periodically binge on Robert Fripp's music, especially anything he did with Brian Eno.

And Folk Music - I'm particularly enjoying my copy of the Harry Smith anthology - I'd say it's a must have. Still listening to Taraf Haidouks, the eastern European Gypsy village band. and...we could be here all day.

Worst, possibly, is that the longer I play music, the more strong my Audio imagination becomes. I can hear music in my head so clearly sometimes that it worries me a little (although I have read that this just plain happens - use a part of the brain, it develops - go figure)

But mostly, I listen to blues.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswrench » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:38 am

Little Feat, Chuck Berry, Tab Benoit, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Buffett, Beatles, Django Rinehart
blueswrench
Regular

Postby TheDude » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Pretty much all kinds of blues.

Classic rock 70s: Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Status Quo, BTO, Grand Funk, Eagles, Aerosmith, AC/DC,...
80s Hairbands: Van Halen, Motley Crue, Europe, Bon Jovi, Guns'n'Roses,...
Country & bluegrass: Merle Haggard, Doc Watson, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash,...
Jazz: Miles, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Burrell, Horace Silver, Charlie Parker,...
Metal: Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Carcass, Arch Enemy, Testament,...
Pop music from the 80s.
Soul/funk/disco: mostly old Motown/Stax stuff even into some 70s funky-disco stuff. I can dig it. 8)

Can't stand: 90s pop music, techno, modern dance music, grunge, alt-rock.

Bums me out that I have a broad taste in music... I'll take 5 cd's with me in the car and within 10 minutues I'll wanna listen to something else. :(
TheDude
Regular

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Jam Band Stuff: Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, Moe, ABB, Mofro, Gov Mule

Old Country: Jimmie Rodgers, Carter Family, on up through Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard

New Orleans Funk, Soul, R&B, Brass Band Music: Anything recorded at Cosimo Matassas in the 50's and 60's, Meters, Wild MAgnolia Mardi Gras Indians, Willie T, Irma Thomas, Soul Rebels Brass BAnd, etc etc etc

Some Jazz

Southern Rock

Any music that doesnt suck!
Slim
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 pm

mike932 wrote:Dust your broom Maxx. My mother reads this forum, she now wants to fly to England and spank your bottom.

If it ain't the Blues, I listen and play Jazz. To all of you single men out there, playing Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and anything by Chet Baker during an attempted romantic interlude is guaranteed pantie dropping music. :mrgreen:

Stanley Turrentine plays havoc with my elastic.
michelle
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:52 am

I am writing his name down for further scientific experiments, thanks Michelle.
mike932
Regular

Next

Return to Way off Topic